Australia - Six states..and that funny little island.

Thanks guys! Yep very exciting. In continuation of the fox topic that seems to be going around the new neighbours have said there is a resident family here. I have paved the shed so they cant get in there at night. If the foxes decide to hunt during the day which they sometimes do, I'm banking on Rodney and the dog being enough protection :)

Satay ur hatch sounds grear, well done! I would love if one of my hens decided to go broody, would love to try my first hatch naturally! This will be their first season so see how we go. Id be on here every hour if so cos I have no idea what to do haha but i will beginresearching with the hope in mind :)

Gorgeous weather coming this week! Cant wait

Fancy I love the first picture of your boys, so handsome and so proud; beautiful!

Congratulations on Yahtzee’s excellent show results K Spot and also the points towards his championship. Just my bored mind at work (another quiet day) but as for a name for your new boy; I read “pencilled rock” thought of Bedrock (the Flinstones) and came up with Barney, Bam Bam or Dino (Fred didn’t make the cut
wink.png
).

Sidhe13 thank you for the chuckle!

Welcome back RodneyRooster and congratulations on your new home!! That enclosure looks nice and secure; well done. We have some gorgeous weather predicted for the next week also … bring on the weekend!!

I have had a few busy weekends and no time to don the chicken paparazzi mode (as hubby likes to call it) .. might have to dust off the camera this weekend .. you have been warned
wink.png

I hate losing any of my girls and while I have lost a couple to illness and cried like a baby, I have never lost one to an ‘attack’ of some sort. My worse nightmare would be to go out in the morning and find that something had torn them apart
hit.gif

As hubby and I both work from home, there is usually someone around during the day and as the coop and run is close to the house and open bedroom windows, I can only hope that we may hear any disturbances during the evening.

Haha @Teila those names are awesome! Yeah freds a bit boring ;-)

Well I have 3 eggs so far this morning - the other 2 lay in the afternoon - so obviously theyre happy and not stressed from the move :) not looking too impressed that im not letting them range today tho but theyll get over that when they come out tomorrow :)

Haha @Teila those names are awesome! Yeah freds a bit boring ;-)

Well I have 3 eggs so far this morning - the other 2 lay in the afternoon - so obviously theyre happy and not stressed from the move :) not looking too impressed that im not letting them range today tho but theyll get over that when they come out tomorrow :)
Good to meet you RodneyRooster ... welcome back. And your girls must be super happy to have laid so quickly in their new surrounds.

Your photos have solved a problem I thought I might have, if ever I house 3 more chickens in with Mindy Araucana. ... how to provide adequate roosting space. Great idea to lean the roost support at an angle, and then attach the roosting poles. Thank you.

Sidhe13 ... had a good giggle at the chat you had to have with Rooster. He was doing a good job though, no matter what. I have no rooster, thus I have heaps of wild birds a-visitin'.

Re Foxes : .... there are plenty up around Upwey. Hubby saw what he called a 'massive' fox crossing the road back to his/her den at 4 a.m. last week. "Looked as big as a German Shepherd" ( I privately thought it might well have been a German shepherd, but said nothing more at the time - he was being helpful to let me know ). I know they are around for sure - but I always leave one lot of dog woopsies in the back garden - the smell of a dog puts the foxes off ( so I believe ). And I lock my girls up to such a degree that they cannot get out until I let them out - and a fox could not get in - concreted flooring, wood all round and small bird wire on the latched doors for ventilation. Nest boxes lockable, and a variety of doo-dads on the doors to keep rain out, keep the plastic covering from flapping in the wind. My coops are not the prettiest of sights !!

Thoughts for all who have lost a chicken or rooster recently .... RIP to the poor wee souls who have lost their lives, and condolences to their owners. ( there seem to have been quite a few, and apologies - am pressed for time today, and cannot go back through dozens of items to find out who has lost members of their flocks. ). Would be awful to get names incorrect by using my memory ( which is not the crash-hottest on the best of days !! ).

Take care everyone - have a lovely sunny weekend. Even Victoria is to get low 20's next few days ( so they say
idunno.gif
)

Cheers .......

Congrats to Yahtzee kspot, you must be so proud of both him and yourself, a real credit to your training that a dog so young is getting such high acheivments. My dogs at that age still couldn't remember "come" half the time, and I wouldn't have dreamed of asking them to stand still, wouldn't have happened, asking for failure! Infact Suzie who is now 6 still can't quite master "stay" and she won't sit on command unless she's right beside me (she's well behaved enough for a pet). Any tips would be appreciated!
Thanks for your kind words @ChristieB ! I've been training him to "stack" ever since he was 4 weeks old at his breeders. We practice everyday in front of a mirror to get it right and also go to weekly show training.
Believe me, he still has a ways to go. He still wriggles a bit when the judge is going over him but so far he's doing fantastically. He really don't know much more than stack/stand, sit, down and wait. We haven't really worked on his recall/come, but every time he does come back to me he gets a treat so he is learning.

I'd be more than happy to help you out on training, just send me a PM whenever you like
smile.png

Go gosh @Teila you are a clever sort! Dino or Bam Bam are perfect!

Hello!!

I am from the Brisbane Area is. Queensland and I am glad to see many different Aussies. I was tech American but I married my wife who's Aussie and I've been here 3 years ;)

We have a new flock and we could use some advice from locals on what we can do with our rooster. Even with his collar his crowing is sadly starting to bother the neighbours we were looking to rehome but we didn't like the people's interested from gum tree.

We
Rescued our chicks from a hatching program at my work so an abusive family who we knew killed their last lot couldn't take them.

Not to offend anyone but we're not apposed to having him slaughter if it's humanely done we don't want him to go be abused to fought

Sarah

Good to hear that the move has not upset your flock RodneyRooster.

Tee hee at the fox the size of a German Shepherd Anniebee .. yep, my coop and run are not the prettiest, especially when I put the rain coat on, but they do the job and the girls do not seem to mind
wink.png

If we do not see you before, you have a lovely weekend also and enjoy the sunny weather if you get some.

Howdy Slagasse, nice to meet you
frow.gif
Fellow Brisbanite here who also married an American.

Rehoming roosters is a tough one and I wish I had an answer for you. I have seen on Gumtree some people advertising with large acreages that take unwanted roosters but I have not dealt with them so cannot vouch for their authenticity or care practices.

I think Brisbane Northside Produce also take in roosters for rehoming for a $5 fee. Again, I cannot vouch for them either, of if they do actually try and rehome them as I have not used that service.

I love the colouring on your chicken at the front in the top picture!

Hey Sam I know you would know that I meant no offence when I said “Fred missed the cut” … only said that because I knew someone would already have one
wink.png
I like Fred & Wilma for a couple.

OMG! How adorable are those little ones? So so cute .. you are not helping my determination not to have a hatch this season! And .. Cilla is still broody .. I will resist .. I will resist
fl.gif

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom