Australia - Six states..and that funny little island.

@Teila

Years ago when I was a kid a guy on a property not far from my parents killed all his horses and claimed insurance. I can't remember what his story was for their deaths at the time but I do remember when public sentiment went from horror at the poor mans tragic loss to horror that somebody could do,such a thing when it was found he'd done it himself for the insurance. Still think of it whenever I happen to go that way and drive past all the beautiful white timber fences surround the property.

Last edited:
@Teila

Years ago when I was a kid a guy on a property not far from my parents killed all his horses and claimed insurance. I can't remember what his story was for their deaths at the time but I do remember when public sentiment went from horror at the poor mans tragic loss to horror that somebody could do,such a thing when it was found he'd done it himself for the insurance. Still think of it whenever I happen to go that way and drive past all the beautiful white timber fences surround the property.

OMG! So awful .. I can not even begin to imagine how someone could do that .. I am on the verge of tears if I accidentally step on one of the cats paws or tail but then I am a sook when it comes to animals
roll.png

@Teila

These days insuring a horse is way too expensive for the average joe. The lady in this story is living on the skids of her pants and struggles to meet her feed bills. Her heart is in rehabilitating them to save them from slaughter. Our Young Robin was destined to go to her and lucky for him, he came here instead.
Also in order to get a horse insured you have to show performance records or breeding papers to justify the amount of the cover.

Congrats on the coop build Teila - I look forward to having a proper chance to look through all the pics.
Typical of me that I miss the severe weather event warning due to having my nose in a book until it arrives. Luckily my flock were confined to their run because of the bit of light rain I enjoyed so I wasn't chasing them all over the yard in the downpour. Hope everyone chooks stay a bit dry.
Thanks for all the well wishes all!

Good morning folks
frow.gif

Fancy I had typed “that is such a sad story about the horses and also very scary” but then I read your follow up that it may not be true. Very strange! appps may be onto something with the insurance scam idea but it makes you wonder if it would work, I am sure it could easily be disproved?

appps love the comic!

Fizzybelle tee hee, very subtle, not! Lol “I must say though, D’Uccles’s get on well with Pekins”
lau.gif
What about Princesses?
wink.png
Enjoy the uni break.

So, I was laying in bed, listening to the rain at 07:15am, thinking that there would be no rush to take breakfast out to the girls because they would all be in the coop. I peaked out the window and there they all were, in the run, waiting for breakfast!

So far we have had 46mm and the coop and run are dry. The edges of the run are damp where the wind has blown some rain in, but so far so good.

satay are you dancing in the rain?
wink.png

satay is the green circle, we are the yellow:

Lol I took a screenshot as well of the radar too at around a quarter to seven. I just gave the girls some food and that was that. No free ranging today. I'd rather have dry bored chooks, than cold wet ones who could get sick. Had to empty the tarp over the coop. Days like this won't be an issue when the new coop is completed, but for now, it's tarp duty. The back yard better look like a jungle after all this rain.

And do D'Uccles get on with princesses? Why certainly, my Queen Bea is royalty herself! Royally demanding
wink.png
tongue.png

Last edited:
Well I spoke too soon. Ada and Annabelle got out of the area I'd cordoned off for them, though did find shelter under a table I'd laid a tarp over yesterday, and the bantams had the brains to sit just outside of the area covered by the tarp
barnie.gif
. Nearly two hours later, all six have been blow dried (Beatrice sat down and nearly went to sleep she loved it so), and I've at least had a chance to clean out their sleeping quarters. Too bad they're not ducks
tongue.png

Lol I took a screenshot as well of the radar too at around a quarter to seven. I just gave the girls some food and that was that. No free ranging today. I'd rather have dry bored chooks, than cold wet ones who could get sick. Had to empty the tarp over the coop. Days like this won't be an issue when the new coop is completed, but for now, it's tarp duty. The back yard better look like a jungle after all this rain.

And do D'Uccles get on with princesses? Why certainly, my Queen Bea is royalty herself! Royally demanding
wink.png
tongue.png

I like 'dry bored chooks' .... as mine are at the moment. Has been raining reasonably heavily in Victoria too, continually ... with days of it to come ( according to the TV weather forecasts ).

Will look up BOM ... for the correct forecast for Victoria.

I wish everybody in Queensland and New South Wales the best of good luck with all that rain - and potential flooding ( already in parts ) .... and that all chookies remain dry.

You can always turn over your bathroom to chookies - and clean up the mess in a week or so ?????
hmm.png
I wanted to put the laugh emoticon here, but figured it might not be quite the correct thing to do.

Cheers and good luck all .....

Last edited:
I like 'dry bored chooks' .... as mine are at the moment.   Has been raining reasonably heavily in Victoria too, continually  ... with days of it to come ( according to the TV weather forecasts ). 

Will look up BOM ... for the correct forecast for Victoria.  

I wish everybody in Queensland and New South Wales the best of good luck with all that rain - and potential flooding ( already in parts ) .... and that all chookies remain dry. 

You can always turn over your bathroom to chookies - and clean up the mess in a week or so ?????   :/   I wanted to put the laugh emoticon here, but figured it might not 
be quite the correct thing to do. 

Cheers and good luck all ..... 

Mine would rather be out in the rain if it's not to heavy. The seem to spend a fair amount of time in it without actually getting wet, just slightly damp on the outside of thier feathers.

These days insuring a horse is way too expensive for the average joe. The lady in this story is living on the skids of her pants and struggles to meet her feed bills. Her heart is in rehabilitating them to save them from slaughter. Our Young Robin was destined to go to her and lucky for him, he came here instead.
Also in order to get a horse insured you have to show performance records or breeding papers to justify the amount of the cover.

Fancy .... while I wondered a lot at appps story, as being applicable in this case - I see now that it could not be. But it does happen, there is no doubt about that.

Have a niece who has had 4 horses in her 'horsey' days ( she is a Mum now of 2, and expecting her 3rd any day ) .... and what they cost her ( and her wealthy Dad ) .... was astonishing, and downright scary. 3 of them developed troubles that precluded her from continuing dressage. One of those 3 had to be put to sleep - she has never recovered from that, suffers genuine nightmares. One is now aged 26 years, and lives happily on their property - but cannot be ridden ( spinal problem under saddle - lots of vet attention ). ..... Not that I think he would want to be bothered with work - he's happy munching on good tucker and roaming his paddock. A happy horse. One quiet darling was sold for older child riding ( vet checked - he was ok for that ) ... and the one that retained good health and solid 'superstructure' ( ?? ) .... was sold to a lady who was doing dressage, and wanted another good horse. That lady was a wonderful choice for Barney.

I had heard about the exhorbitant cost of insuring a horse, no matter what they do ... particularly in a show ring, or on the track, or wherever horse showing abounds. Did not realise that show performance records and breeding papers would decide the amount of cover. Sounds like a typical scam of insurance companies, which makes me as mad as all heill.

So many things that can bring trouble to a horse - they are more fragile than we might think, even though they can weigh up to 500 > 600 kgs. Weight and size is not always a guarantee.

So glad that Robin came to you for great care and attention.

btw - how many horses do you have now ?

Cheers ...... ( and back to chickens, which from me - there is no news of any importance ).

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom