Australia - Six states..and that funny little island.

I'll try this again:

Holy moly I now have 4 laying chickens. And the noise while they argue over the nest box is hilarious. There are 3 nest boxes, but of course they all want the same one. Aurora the bantam Araucana will literally stand and shout at whoever is in there till they get out lol. I'm surprised the d'uccle and pekin eggs are the same size.

I'll try this again:

Holy moly I now have 4 laying chickens. And the noise while they argue over the nest box is hilarious. There are 3 nest boxes, but of course they all want the same one. Aurora the bantam Araucana will literally stand and shout at whoever is in there till they get out lol. I'm surprised the d'uccle and pekin eggs are the same size.

My Dad and I like to joke about the girls all wanting the same nest box, even though when we finish the coops they'll each have their own nest. They just like something to complain about I guess lol. And D'Uccles are super achievers when it comes to egg laying, big effort from such a little bird. Congrats, your girls are doing really well, that's a beautiful assortment of colours there :)

Last edited:
As excited as we get at the prospect of a double or triple yolker, it's often a precursor for trouble.
I know I've shared this before, but the bigger the egg the thinner the shell. Thin shells carry the risk of breakage in the ' chute ' and that usually doesn't end well. The shell gland deposits the exact same amount on each egg , provided the hen has adequate levels of calcium.
Methionine is the amino acid that controls egg size and should be kept at a minimum in hens over 40 weeks.
Just like people the birds feed must be adjusted to the different stages of their life. For people with mixed flocks that can be very difficult.

http://www1.agric.gov.ab.ca/$department/deptdocs.nsf/all/pou3651

Agreed, I am concerned about it. I find it too coincidental that I am getting so many now. I'm wondering what is causing it.

I do wish I could open links on this site. I'll look at your information later when I get to a PC.
Thanks for the private life of chickens too.

Thanks

Last edited:
I use coopex all the time. It was recommended to me by a pest control man apparently its what they use for ants and spiders. Its was the best thing I ever got, we had ants in the patio when we moved in and we were in danger of collapsing pavers. It got rid of them and they haven't been back in  those numbers again. That's was 17 years ago.  I have been using it ever since. I empty half a sachet into a 2 ltr milk bottle full of water  with a 0.5cm drilled in the lid and I up end that everywhere.  You can use a spray bottle just make sure you mix it well I spray wall, eaves, windows and all entrances it stops the cockroaches millipedes everything . I spray the coops around the ceilings and under everything in there. It's supposed to be safe for humans and animals, it leaves a white residue that insects walk over it attaches to their feet and they walk it back to their nests. I hope that was helpful. I do it whenever the insect population gets beyond a joke. (about once a year) I bought some on the weekend it cost $12.

What an innovative method of spreading. Those milk bottles do come in useful. Thanks for sharing.

I only have heritage breeds now I didn't know about the protein, Thanks. I use Redhen too but these new girls don't eat the pellets that are mixed with it (I don't like all the waste)  as I'm buying enough for 70 birds at the moment I'm thinking of mixing my own but I'm not sure what to put together. any thoughts thanks.
Your silkie looks just like my blondie. My 2 silkies have just hatched 3 araucanas I will post pictures today.

The Redhen I've been using is the 17. It is cracked grain and pellets so that all particle are the same size and colour, the pieces can't be identified. I love it as they can't pick out what the like. However now that i mix it that benefit is gone.

When I had my excessive backyard numbers. (As if there can be excessive numbers) I was fermenting feed. I and the birds really liked it and it cut the feed bill significantly. I stop doing it because I had to rearrange space and tidy up in an attempt to sell the house. I don't know why bubbling feed on the deck wouldn't be considered a selling feature.

I haven't started again with lower numbers but have been going to start again. You give it a try.

I have to work out a new regime myself. Probably will go back to my old 15% mix as my girls did do really well on it. The picking out and waste was why I gave it away.

Hi everyone!

We are in Melbourne and currently have two roosters and a hen about six months of age...looking at rehoming the two boys because as beautiful as the sound is....can't have it
1f612.png

Looking forward to raising hens, my daughter's adore them and they're beautiful alternatives cats and dogs for us at the moment
1f60a.png

Only problem is I have no idea what breed they are
1f602.png
[/IMG][/IMG]

The Redhen I've been using is the 17. It is cracked grain and pellets so that all particle are the same size and colour, the pieces can't be identified. I love it as they can't pick out what the like. However now that i mix it that benefit is gone.

When I had my excessive backyard numbers. (As if there can be excessive numbers) I was fermenting feed. I and the birds really liked it and it cut the feed bill significantly. I stop doing it because I had to rearrange space and tidy up in an attempt to sell the house. I don't know why bubbling feed on the deck wouldn't be considered a selling feature.

I haven't started again with lower numbers but have been going to start again. You give it a try.

I have to work out a new regime myself. Probably will go back to my old 15% mix as my girls did do really well on it. The picking out and waste was why I gave it away.

I use avi grain free range layer for my fussy bantams at the moment, They have been on this one for a while now and seem to love it. Normally i have to change their brand of feed every few months as they decided we are not eating this one anymore but so far that has not happened with this one.

Hi everyone!

We are in Melbourne and currently have two roosters and a hen about six months of age...looking at rehoming the two boys because as beautiful as the sound is....can't have it
1f612.png

Looking forward to raising hens, my daughter's adore them and they're beautiful alternatives cats and dogs for us at the moment
1f60a.png

Only problem is I have no idea what breed they are
1f602.png
[/IMG][/IMG]

Hi and welcome. Not sure of the breed of your little one. Does she have yellow legs?

Back
Top Bottom