Australia - Six states..and that funny little island.

Hi and :welcome to all the new comers. I have been busy with our Kindy class and have not had time to check in. I hope everyone is doing well.
I agree with Fancy I wouldn't put petrol on my girls. I use vicks or a cheaper version on my girls scaly leg mite and it worked fine just needed a few treatments. I don't even like Vaseline or vicks either because they are petroleum based but still much safer than petrol. I have even stopped using anything with a petroleum base on us. I am amazed at the amount of people who use lip balm with a petroleum base and they wonder why their lips are always dry. I use natural products without petroleum base and it works very quickly.
I guess what we are saying is if you want a more organic or healthier option do your research but if you not worried, that's your right too.

Hi and :welcome to all the new comers. I have been busy with our Kindy class and have not had time to check in. I hope everyone is doing well.
I agree with Fancy I wouldn't put petrol on my girls. I use vicks or a cheaper version on my girls scaly leg mite and it worked fine just needed a few treatments. I don't even like Vaseline or vicks either because they are petroleum based but still much safer than petrol. I have even stopped using anything with a petroleum base on us. I am amazed at the amount of people who use lip balm with a petroleum base and they wonder why their lips are always dry. I use natural products without petroleum base and it works very quickly.
I guess what we are saying is if you want a more organic or healthier option do your research but if you not worried, that's your right too.
Yeah, the problem with petrol byproduct is that they are hidden in many of our beauty and health products. Ceresine wax, paraffin and Vaseline are just a few . My daughter is vegan she has managed to convert the family to using Arbonne products, guaranteed to be petrochemical free.
Im having chicken withdrawals ATM, I'm recovering from surgery and Doc says the risk of infection is too high. The girls snuck in a silkie hatchling for me to cuddle yesterday.

Fancy I hope you recover quickly and get to have a chicken fix soon.
My little silkies are getting bigger and so fluffy.
I'm getting duck eggs now too.
My hen numbers are declining in numbers at the moment I lost another hen to old age last week and I think 3 more are slowing down considerably. I'm not sure of their ages but I've had them a couple of years and they were probably between 6-8 years old when I got them. I don't think these ones have laid eggs since I've had them. At least they got to live their last years well.

First, Fancy .... I hope your recovery from surgery is rapid and as painless as possible ... wishing you all the very best. Looking forward to being reunited with your girls, will speed your recovery I have no doubt.

And a hearty :welcome to :
** crazyroosterlady
** MareeIrene
** SarahMonique
** Cathy Carr
** JulieCM
** platypusGold.

Hope I haven't missed anyone. It takes some time to keep up, especially as I don't get here as often as I used to and no longer get notifications. Have tried to fix that in settings, but to no avail.

I have used Vaseline successfully for scaly mite but didn't like having to use it. Also tried the Vicks, but was worried about that, in case she picked at herself ( Mandy ). Have read that a good soak in vegetable oil which has no nasties in it, can work - but presume only if one can keep chookie quiet enough to stand in it for some time. Would take a few bottles of the oil to do, I would imagine ... but how effective it is, I don't know. It would only choke the adult blighters, but would ( I think ) do nothing to kill off the larvae.

Hope the weather remains cooler, and that Queensland gets some rain, although I see there are some possibly nasties heading towards some areas of the coast up there. ( news report this evening - a couple of cyclone type things ).

Cheers to all ~~ :frow

Hi all... back after some time.... don’t get emails now... I have tried!
Annie and Fancy 2 of my girls are moulting too! Thought this happened in autumn?

I have in the past been guilty of dipping my girls feet in method then lathering in Vaseline... it did work but would just try Vick next time.

Welcome to the newbies!

Fancy I hope you recover quickly and get to have a chicken fix soon.
My little silkies are getting bigger and so fluffy.
I'm getting duck eggs now too.
My hen numbers are declining in numbers at the moment I
Hey Laylaloveschickens

I have only transported birds within Queensland so I can not help you regarding quarantine etc. However, 7 months ago we did fly our much loved 5 x bantams from Brisbane when we moved because I was not parting with them.

We used Jet Pets and they picked them up from our home and drove them to Brisbane Airport. Once they touched down in Townsville, their Townsville agent then drove them the 1.5 hours to our new home.

I highly recommend Jet Pets, they were awesome!

The girls ranged in age from 3 to 4.5 years old and handled the flight etc very well.

Hi Teila can’t believe it’s been 7 months...I am sure you are well and truly settled...
Find the site really unfriendly and no notification emails I am sure they have a huge reduction in following. Miss your stories very much

Hey Susan .. yep, settling in but not settled, still so much to do which is one of the reasons I have not been sharing stories etc.

With your not getting e.mail notifications, if you go to your watched threads, tick the thread and then scroll down to the bottom ......

Watched Threads.jpg

Down the bottom of the page where it says 'With selected' click on the triangle:

upload_2018-2-15_14-25-54.png

and select 'Enable email notification' which might fix it :fl

upload_2018-2-15_14-26-33.png

Hi from the northern suburbs of Melbourne. Picked up my first 3 day old chicks on the weekend. Everything going well so far.

First chicks post,
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/2018-newbie-chat.1218804/page-11#post-19575566

So far all is good, coop is almost finished, the run will be a problem though (need to get a new fence before i can do that and the landlord of the other place is a challenge - not with chickens just with a new fence, they have no idea, only their tenants do)

Back
Top Bottom