Australian Shepherds aka Aussies- Info is appreciated(:

Congrats! There are many "types" of Aussies being bred right now, so my first question is where are you getting the puppy from?
What do the people do with their dogs?

First type and IMHO the best type of Aussie is the original, stock, herding dog.
Ours are this style, all large boned, heavy set, wide set eyes, CALM, easy to train, yet sensitive and respond best with a firm handle.
They make GREAT family dogs, can be trusted with all types of livestock as long as they are properly introduced and taught hands off.
Very protective of "their" farms, yet greet family and visitors with ease. My dogs (like any well trained dog) naturally are beside me
100% of the time, rarely wander and are happiest at my feet awaiting my next "order".

The second type is the general family dog Aussie, more showy/flashy with the babydoll looks.
They tend to run smaller, are somewhat easy to train, great with kids, but active and require plenty of stimuli.
I think there are some good breeders of this show quality type dog, but IMHO smarts are overlooked in order to
achieve the pretty doll, shiny coat, flashy look.

The third and least desirable IMHO are the agility bred dogs.
Small framed, narrow heads, extremely active or hyperactive, go go go attitude.
These dogs can develop MAJOR behavioral issues if they are not handled and exercised properly.
I do not like how cow smarts have been bred out of them, these are the ones you find at the pound, with behavioral issues, the ones
that have been known to destroy their owners homes due to lack of attention and purpose.

All Aussies IMO can become depressed and act out and show signs of seperation anxiety. They are a beside you at all times kinda dog and should be
well contained while you are gone or if at all possible at your side at all times. I've had so many Aussies, I've found them to be the most loyal, one person,
great family dogs that love a purpose. Training them to do something in particular at a young age is imperative! I teach mine to "hunt" rabbits! They loyally
sit by me all day until I take them out, then I yell "RABBITS!!!!" they hunt the yard and garden until they scare one up, run them off and come back HAPPY as all
get out that the yard is "protected" from the evil tiny beasties! If I leave them out all night they patrol the yard until daylight making sure no rabbits get in the garden!
The other day my husband came home and found our boy Chevey herding a yound 300 lb. black bear out of the yard!

Congrats again! Gotta love the Aussies! Post a pict of your new puppy!!

Last edited:
Quote:
I have been involved in agility for years in a training club that is an Aussie powerhouse on the ASCA breed, obedience and agility circuits and I've never heard of or seen these "agility bred" Aussies you speak of. All the Aussies in our club and those I see at agility trials are either ASCA show dogs (a bit different than AKC in that they don't seem so fixated on coat and flash) or stock Aussie types who also compete in herding.

I think what you are referring to are the so-called "mini-Aussies," not all of which are actually very mini or that much smaller than normal Aussies. These are indeed becoming more prevalent in agility, but don't you dare tell a breeder of ASCA Aussies that "mini-Aussies" are really Aussies just smaller and lighter (I hear this gripe from the breeders in my club all the time). That is like calling a Sheltie a mini-collie (which some people still do). They are two separate breeds and have very different structure and temperaments. So-called "mini-Aussies" are more properly called North American Miniature Shepherds, but it is easier to sell them as mini Aussies. This is not to say that they are a bad dogs and shouldn't be bred, but to call them Aussies is incorrect and gets up the ire of those who breed real Aussies, not to mention pet buyers may not know that the minis don't have the same temperament.

I've also been seeing an increase in so-called "toy Aussies" which really are very small. I don't know what they bred Aussies to to get them, but they don't look much like Aussies anymore and are clearly mixes. Many look like they have some Papillon in them.

All Aussies IMO can become depressed and act out and show signs of seperation anxiety. They are a beside you at all times kinda dog and should be
well contained while you are gone or if at all possible at your side at all times. I've had so many Aussies, I've found them to be the most loyal, one person,
great family dogs that love a purpose. Training them to do something in particular at a young age is imperative! I teach mine to "hunt" rabbits! They loyally
sit by me all day until I take them out, then I yell "RABBITS!!!!" they hunt the yard and garden until they scare one up, run them off and come back HAPPY as all
get out that the yard is "protected" from the evil tiny beasties! If I leave them out all night they patrol the yard until daylight making sure no rabbits get in the garden!
The other day my husband came home and found our boy Chevey herding a yound 300 lb. black bear out of the yard!

Don't worry! I am homeschooled with my brother and sister. My Mom is my teacher, so we are home all day. Plus, when we go out for a while, I have another dog at the house for him to play with.
smile.png

That's hilarious!
lau.gif

And that too!
gig.gif
lau.gif
My soon to have aussie, will have 6 hens to herd!
big_smile.png

I enjoy my Australian Shepherd! He has a coloboma in one eye, but it isn't bad and you don't even notice it. He is so GREAT with the kids. Can't have a better dog for keeping them busy! I'm lucky too, in that he doesn't have that darn ivermectin sensitivity that plagues so many collie-related breeds. I picked him up out on a country road a long time ago and after weeks of posting signs, advertising, etc, no one came forward. Some things are meant to be I guess!

Oh yes I forgot about how much fun they are when they are 'herding' the chickens! LOL! This one that I have (Mik is is name) had never been around chickens or goats or anything before he came here so first introductions were hilarious. He tried to sneak up on a chicken and took what seemed like ages to tip toe across the yard. The problem was, when he got close enough to bark, the chicken didn't run - she promptly pecked him on the nose! Both were ok, but Mik stays far away from my poultry and water fowl now which is a good thing. But if someone speaks the magic word "Squirrel"....all bets are off! LOL!
wink.png

Hi everybody. New to the forum, chickens and aussies. We adopted a 2 1/2 month old puppy from our local shelter about a month ago. Soo 3 1/2 month old now. He is an Aussie mix but no idea what with. He has a tail on him and a longer muzzle so possibly border collie. Looks just like a black tri-color aussie though. He's smarter than he wants us to think he is and at this point only really listens to what he wants to listen to. He is absolutely terrible in his crate and I have a feeling it will take a while to get him to like it.

Anywayyyy...just some background there but my main question has to do with him charging at the neighbors, their kids and their dogs. Is this normal for an aussie pup to be so "take charge" at such a young age. We have yet to be able to get him socialized because he doesn't have all his shots yet but soon we will be able to get him out more. Is this an aussie thing as a puppy?

Just looking for some advice. I don't want a full grown dog charging at everything they see. Which hopefully with training and socialization won't be a problem.

Thanks

Back
Top Bottom