Australorps breed Thread

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by call ducks, Mar 27, 2010.

1. DeesHens

DeesHens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    That is so cool! I hope mine will be like that too. Cute pic. ~Dee~

2. bonnylass79

bonnylass79 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2009
    Central Florida
    [​IMG]

Here is one of my 10 week old pullets. I can't believe how big the bodies are on these girls. I have 5 pullets that I got from Cindy Chesler. Stan (tigercreek), her birds came from you, correct? I would still like to get a second bloodline to get my flock started, but it's getting a little late in the year to ship eggs to Florida. I may just stick with these 5 for now and borrow a rooster from Cindy once they're old enough. Then try to get some shipped eggs this fall.

3. tigercreek

tigercreek Chillin' With My Peeps

Yes, Cindy got her birds from me. Are you sure you have a pullet there?? I'm thinking you may not need to borrow a rooster from Cindy......... Just sayn' .......stan

4. bonnylass79

Nov 5, 2009
    Central Florida
    They all have about the same amount of comb and wattle. They have a lot less than the younger roosters (barnyard mixes) I have in with them. I've also seen pictures of younger Australorp roosters on this thread with more. But, you know your line better than I do. Hopefully I don't have 5 roosters. lol

5. bonnylass79

Nov 5, 2009
    Central Florida
    Here's a closeup of "its" face. I know, you're a leg man. lol I'll try to get a pic of all 5 when I have someone to help me wrangle them.

[​IMG]

A better profile shot:

[​IMG]

6. aveca

aveca Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2009
    Waverly, NY
    Fantastic body shape on that baby bonnylass..going to be a quality flock ..NICE!

Love to see pics of the others showing them off like the pics above

Last edited: May 23, 2013
  7. RattlesnakeRidgeWV

RattlesnakeRidgeWV Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2011
    Hedgesville, WV
    Stan,
    Stop looking at the legs. If that bird is 10 weeks old it is a pullet.

Bonnylass,
    Good looking pullet. Stan does have a fine line of BA's.
    Kurt

8. bonnylass79

Nov 5, 2009
    Central Florida
    LOL

Thank you. I knew if I wanted to do this, I wanted to do it right, so I made sure I started with quality stock. I'm hoping to have them in the show pen within the year. Ordering some Big Ole Bird today to start supplementing with. I want them to shine. :)

9. Historyhobbit

Historyhobbit Out Of The Brooder

Apr 15, 2013
    Central Ohio
    Thanks!! I use a free app for my smartphone called "Photo Grid" They sure are hard to photograph since they are constantly moving!! lol!

10. Historyhobbit

Historyhobbit Out Of The Brooder

Apr 15, 2013
    Central Ohio
    My Australorps will jump into my lap and ride on my shoulder if I let them!! What a fantastic breed!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by