Australorps breed Thread

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by call ducks, Mar 27, 2010.

1. DeesHens

DeesHens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    Yes, I agree! They are very friendly toward me which is a lot of fun. [​IMG]
    But I am trying to understand the aggressive behavior between two of them. Is it the way pullets form the "pecking order" or God forbid ... I have two cockerels. [​IMG]

~Dee~

2. CinnamonQueen

CinnamonQueen Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 2, 2012
    Texas
    My two pullets do the same thing, but they are almost 11 weeks. I think it's the pecking order being laid down.

3. DeesHens

Jul 10, 2010
    Thanks CQ. That makes me feel quite a bit better. It has been 3 years since I last had chicks so I could not recall with my senior memory. [​IMG]~Dee~

4. CinnamonQueen

Nov 2, 2012
    Texas
    Of course, I'm not an expert, but that was just my guess.

5. PrairieChickens

PrairieChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2012
    Kansas
    Hey, peeps. I'm new to Australorps having just gotten four chicks in March. I now have three big, snuggly lap chickens and one pullet who wants nothing to do with me! XD

So far I'm loving the breed. Yesterday I was sitting in a lawn chair with a little black australorp roo in my lap. I was petting him and he was so relaxed he kept almost rolling right off of my lap! lol

6. CinnamonQueen

Nov 2, 2012
    Texas
    How do I get all the chickens that only tolerate my presence? Welcome to the thread PC.

7. loveourbirds

loveourbirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2013
    waverly ohio
    does anyone have any good pics of a show quality black australorp? i have 6 i selected from 50 hatchery birds for comb, speed of growth and fast feathering. now im thinking of breeding more toward show, but i don't attend shows and have never seen one labeled as show quality. i do have a copy of the standard, but a good, color picture would help.

8. PrairieChickens

PrairieChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2012
    Kansas
    Most of my first generation chickens were like that. They didn't want touched, didn't want handled. They weren't exactly afraid of me, but they didn't want to interact with me either... well, unless I had food!

Part of what has made the difference, I think, is when I'm buying new chicks, I look for ones that will approach me in the brooder. So far, all of my friendliest chickens have come from using that method.

9. DeesHens

Jul 10, 2010
    Understood CQ. [​IMG]
    ~Dee~

10. DeesHens

Jul 10, 2010
    Recently CB&CG posted some very nice pics of SQ BA's just a couple pages back. Black, Blue or Splash the body type is essentially the same. Many pages back Geoff posted some pages from books that have details as well as pics from his own flock. Both of these members are from Australia so have what I would deem the perfect SQ BA's. The USA folks that have posted their SQ BA's would be Kurt from Rattlesnake Ridge, Aveca and Tigercreek among others that are now starting some SQ chicks. If you go to their profile pages you can look at their wonderful albums. Hope that helps ya. ~Dee~

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by