Australorps breed Thread

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by call ducks, Mar 27, 2010.

1. DeesHens

DeesHens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010

2. PrairieChickens

PrairieChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2012
    Kansas
    I stumbled upon that trick last year when we got our Polish crested. Chicky Gaga literally jumped into the employee's hand when he reached in to grab our chicks, and she's the most friendly and fearless chicken we have now, whereas the employee struggled to catch Buckbuck Bjork, and now she's one of our most frightened and nervous chickens. When we got new chicks this year, I put my method into practice, and so far every chick I've selected by doing this has been friendly with minimal effort on my part to handle and tame them. Fortunately the local store I bought them from let's me reach into the brooder myself and select my own chicks without an employee having to do it for me. That makes it easier.

Of our four black australorps, I only got to pick out one of them, and so far she's been the sweetest (though the boys are not exactly standoffish either.) I want to stress that I did NOT pick out Mary and I am not responsible for her neurotic attitude! lol

3. MeanV2

MeanV2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2013
    The Tigercreek eggs I got came in 2 shipments about 2 weeks apart. From the 1st shipment 4 eggs went into lock down and honestly I believe one is an early quitter, not sure on the others, but I had 1 baby hatch out today.

The 2nd batch is on about day 10 and 6 eggs are left on the turner. I am sure hoping to get a couple more, but all I can do is hope. At least I have one and if I am fortunate enough to raise it I believe whether it is a Cockerel or a Pullet it can contribute to my Flock. [​IMG]

Dan

4. aveca

aveca Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2009
    Waverly, NY
    congrats Dan hope it goes real well for you..

5. MeanV2

MeanV2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2013
    Thanks Lynne!!

Dan

6. Cowboy44

Cowboy44 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 6, 2012
    South Central KY
    Ordering my first Black Australorps this Friday!!! What's your favorite things about them? Any pro or cons than other heavy breeds? Really excited just looking for some more info other that what Mcmurray Hatchery has to offer...

7. ocap

ocap Overrun With Chickens

Jan 1, 2013
    Smithville, Missouri

Hi and welcome to NYC and BAs. Mine are six weeks old and growth rate is amazing compared to the other two breeds I purchased at the same time.

8. RattlesnakeRidgeWV

RattlesnakeRidgeWV Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2011
    Hedgesville, WV
    Tigercreek 5 at 17 weeks old and the cockerels are getting feisty with the girls!
    Tell me if you are getting tired of seeing them.
    Kurt[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The two cockerels are COAL and MOJO.

9. RattlesnakeRidgeWV

RattlesnakeRidgeWV Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2011
    Hedgesville, WV
    More pics?[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Sorry, not much green grass on the Mt. my best crop is ROCKS!

10. thedragonlady

thedragonlady Overrun With Chickens

Feb 6, 2012
    Camden,S.C.
    Nope, and I only breed Buff Orps ! Love to watch them grow. They go through the same pipe stem neck stages as Orp Ks do. Keep 'em coming !

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by