Australorps breed Thread

She's beautiful! I can't wait until mine start looking more like this. Right now my family and I joke that our Australorp chicks (nearly 7 weeks) look more like ravens than chickens....but with much better dispositions.
roll.png
Thank you
smile.png
Give it time, they'll look gorgeous soon enough!

Hey...have Australorp chickens been out-lawed on this site or can I be the only one able to see this thread?
idunno.gif

This is too great a breed to let sit by the wayside!!!

Let's hear about your birds.

Last edited:
Hey...have Australorp chickens been out-lawed on this site or can I be the only one able to see this thread?  :idunno

This is too great a breed to let sit by the wayside!!!

Let's hear about your birds. 
this is Oreo , by far my favorite hen out of my blended flock ! Her eyes are soft and she loves to be with me. Unfortunately she's at the bottom of pecking order. So she's a loner and it breaks my heart! I raised her with a Mille Fluer D'uccle , she is now in bantam coop . They stick together during free range
it's like a love story when the two coops open.

Last edited:
Awww that is sweet. My former bossy britches has taken a step down since molting. I have a gorgeous young hen who refuses to stand still for a good photo. Maybe when I get some foraging pens together....

I ordered some eggs off of eBay the seller says they are BA .but some of the eggs are ligth in color? Are there white A's out there .i have no ideal about the breed and I want to learn?:caf

My Australorps are nearly 8 weeks old now and they're finally getting that green sheen on their feathers. So pretty! All four of them are at the bottom of the pecking order and get bossed around quite a bit by primarily one of my Barred Rock pullets, and also by one of my Silkie cockerels. Ironically, my Barred Rock cockerel seems to favor them....maybe because they're so docile.

I just started feeding my flock fermented food this morning. So far, the Australorps absolutely LOVE it, and since the Barred Rocks are still uncertain about it the Australorps got to feed to their gullets' content without being picked on for a change.
smile.png

This is Lulu, the lowest one in the pecking order. She's incredibly sweet and friendly.

How do I know if my hatchery Australorp is purebred or the "watered down" hatchery type?
What's a BA's egg color supposed to be?

Your hatchery stock will have been bred for egg production rather than the Standard of Perfection. Typically, hatchery birds are not bred for conformation but to produce eggs. I'm not sure what you mean by "watered down." An Australorp you get from a hatchery is the same breed you'll get from a breeder, but the breeder breeds to a standard, which a hatchery sells producing birds.

Does that make sense?

MrsB

Back
Top Bottom