Australorps breed Thread

2.5 MONTHS??? Poor hen. Next time cave WAY earlier or get her into a broody buster if you aren't going to give her chicks to raise. Isn't it fun to watch mama hen raise the babies???

Looks like Daisy and your husband have a good relationship :D  NONE of my chickens want to be touched let alone carried around. But then I didn't hand raise them.

Um WHAT white egg on the left? I had 2 Anconas, now 1 and they lay as white as a white egg can get. No brown unless it is dirt. I have 4 BAs and get all of the three colors shown in the picture. Yes USUALLY Large to XL, sometimes bigger. My now 4 Y/O BA has, on occasion, laid an egg that was nearly twice the weight of a USDA large. Can't be good for her and I told her to stop ;)  
thank you. When will the other 5 lay?

isn't it amazing tints of eggs vary so much? Will the color change as she lays more and does it vary from girl to girl? Our comets eggs vary so much.

Yes all my girls egg vary in colour.... just slightly except for the Ancona
1f602.png
1f602.png

My hens first eggs where lighter and are getting darker but not too much

Last edited:
thank you. When will the other 5 lay?

When they are ready!
gig.gif

Quote:
I can tell which egg was laid by which hen, based on size, shape, texture and color. I find that for a given brown laying girl, the first egg of a multi day run might be darker than the egg laid the last day, I figure their "dye bucket" is running low and they have to take a day off to refill it
wink.png

If you are not aware, a brown egg is a white egg
big_smile.png
. The color coating is put on the outside just before it is laid. And that answers the question of whether brown eggs are "healthier" than white eggs. A blue or green egg is blue all the way through to the inside. A green egg has a bit of brown "dye" added as with a brown layer. Olive Eggers will lay a much darker green because they were created by breeding a blue or green layer with a very dark brown layer, like a Marans.

Quote: Watch for her going off going Broody ..and not taking care of the chicks anymore ..
Most hens are Broody for about 2 months ..then they release the chicks ..on their own

Yep, the "I am raising chicks" switch went OFF at about 2 months when Zorra (big BA) raised the Meyer babies last summer. One day taking care of them showing them food, constantly on guard. Next day she laid an egg, started chasing the "kids" AWAY from treats and otherwise ignored them entirely.

2.5 MONTHS??? Poor hen. Next time cave WAY earlier or get her into a broody buster if you aren't going to give her chicks to raise. Isn't it fun to watch mama hen raise the babies???

Looks like Daisy and your husband have a good relationship :D  NONE of my chickens want to be touched let alone carried around. But then I didn't hand raise them.

I know i should have got her chicks sooner, but I really didnt need anymore chickens and would have to expand on the coop to accomidate more (which since i had to get chicks we ended up doing it). I tried EVERYTHING to break her. I took the eggs daily, locked her out of the coop all day, would soak her vent in a bucket of cold water to cool down her vent temp, and put her in a cage a few days with nothing but food and water and she wouldt break! She would seem normal after a couple days in the cage then as soon as she was back out with the others she was broody. I also would remove her from the nest 3+ times a day to eat, drink, and poop. But when her weight loss started showing I gave in. But Im glad i did as watching them with babies is so magical. She is a good mom, she has hatched out chicks and adopted them.

As for daisy and my husband they do have a great friendship but all my girls are pretty loving. They love to perch on you and walk around with you.

Back
Top Bottom