Australorps breed Thread

Watch for her going off going Broody ..and not taking care of the chicks anymore ..
Most hens are Broody for about 2 months ..then they release the chicks ..on their own

She has hatched out chicks before and is a really good mom. She shows them all the ropes pretty well before leaving them and usually integrates them into the flock. At first i thought id have to seperate them from the flock since I have some 4 month old roos giving them trouble but they are good now.

Quote:
I guess we know who rules the roost at your house!
wink.png

Zorra didn't integrate "her" kids. They were a flock of their own other than when roosting in the coop or getting treats. Whenever Zorra the Terrible
wink.png
expanded their range by taking them to another of the girls' favorite "hang outs", the other hens ran off. There was a "wanna be a momma" Faverolles she let hang with her family and after Zorra split, the Faverolles stayed with them. They slowly integrated themselves.

Last edited:
I guess we know who rules the roost at your house! ;)

Zorra didn't integrate "her" kids. They were a flock of their own other than when roosting in the coop or getting treats. Whenever Zorra the Terrible ;)  expanded their range by taking them to another of the girls' favorite "hang outs", the other hens ran off. There was a "wanna be a momma" Faverolles she let hang with her family and after Zorra split, the Faverolles stayed with them. They slowly integrated themselves. 
love these pics!! Couple of our girls climb on too, it's ok by me but gives me heebeejeebies when they get on neck and back hahaha.

My BA was my first to lay right at 19 weeks. She laid a tiny little egg and was consistent for the first 2 weeks, only missing 1-2 days. Now after about 6 weeks, she is laying like 3 eggs/week and while they are slightly increased in size they are still the runts of the bunch coming in at about 36-38g (first ones were barely 28-30g)
Will her consistency get better? What about size?

My BA was my first to lay right at 19 weeks. She laid a tiny little egg and was consistent for the first 2 weeks, only missing 1-2 days. Now after about 6 weeks, she is laying like 3 eggs/week and while they are slightly increased in size they are still the runts of the bunch coming in at about 36-38g (first ones were barely 28-30g)

If she was from a hatchery, it could have something to do with it.

19 weeks is pretty early. Maybe she decided she wasn't quite ready
wink.png
My first hen to lay started at about 22 weeks, laid 3 really small eggs between 11/3/2012 and 11/12/2012 then didn't lay again until 12/3.

Size will increase with age. For instance Eos (EE, hatched early June 2015) started at 38g in mid November at 23 weeks and worked up into the 50's in a couple of weeks. Took until March to fairly consistently hit 60g or more.

I thought I would post some pics of my RSR line (RattleSnakeRidge) Cockerels that I purchased from Kurt in West Virginia.This is the first time I have posted pics on here but I felt everyone needed to see the Quality of birds that you can get from Kurt. I could not be happier.

These birds are all 6 1/2 months old

Back
Top Bottom