Australorps breed Thread

Do australorps molt at night?? when I let my chickens out this morning there was a big pile of feathers under one of mine perch?? I have never gone throw the molting thing so idk what to look for in usually l let them free range but I have a brave hawk on my hands!! I don't see any missing feathers or anything!!
if you look at tail feathers and if they look a little ragged or even see skin, they are starting to molt. Our Aussies were extra fluffy and then skin was showing then blood was showing-with the bare skin, the others decided to peck the rest of their back out, by their vents. Much better now after a week of a great spray but until they have feathers back in, can't put back in coop.

One of our BA girls (one that had a gash in her and is now fully healed) has a white comb. She got pecked on the bottom of the comb and I sprayed on it. However it's never healed. Is this frostbite or something else? She is not acting off either. She hasn't laid an egg in 2.5-3 weeks now. Her feathers are coming back in nicely.

Their combs typically get very small and pale when they moult then go back to normal as they come out of moult.
ahhhhhhh. Do you think she was moulting? She has her pecked feathers coming in now, looking very well and all healed. I was worried it may have been the peeper pinching her comb or fact she's not laying. But the moulting makes sense. How long until things go back to normal? Been out of coop since 15nov or so to heal, laid a week after that. Cant put pecked on girls back in until feathers all back. Healing started the 20-21st.
Thanks so much!

Back
Top Bottom