Australorps breed Thread

Hi RRW... you've given me something to think about, maybe I'm weighing egg production too high... for example, I also need a non-flighty bird (I'd like to let them free-range occasionally and I'll need to trim flight feathers so they don't end up in neighbor's yard, over 6 ft fence!) and quiet would be a plus... And thanks for the info about Sex Links, I wasn't aware of the shorter laying period.   What attracted me to those was you could select hens much more reliably, I'm only getting 3 to start (have a 20 sq ft run) and I can't have a rooster, for sure, in my neighborhood.

Thanks!

It's been my experience that they will constantly fly over an 8' fence to get out of their run into your own yard but don't try to jump the much lower neighbors 6' ones. go figure
1f602.png
Think it's more about being near their owners than greener pastures.

I'm guessing the first and second ones as a pullets. The third one I can't tell from
the front view. The fourth, curious, one ...not sure...possibly a pullet.

They can trick you.

From,
BluRoo Farm OH

Well my 6 little baby AO's are doing great. They're so calm even if their new 3 week old brother and sister EE's sometimes get excited and bowl them over. Happy one of my baby EE's that I am sure is a pullet has been nurturing them. She's been letting them nest under her and even hollowed out a tiny nest in the brooder pen. Happy with all the new ones.

Meet the Littles. This is the 6 new additions to my flock 2 more days until a week old and doing great with the 4 week old EE's I have. One of my EE's even burrowed out a nest in the litter and was trying to sit on them to keep them warm. They are MUCH calmer than my EE's and doing great. Wasn't sure about getting Australorps So far they're really sweet and I think will be a calming influence on rest of flock.

That is really neat that your EE is doing that at such a young age. Hopefully it means she'll be a really good momma in the future!

Yeah, I was amazed to see that at barely over 3 weeks. She must have been watching out for them cause they followed her around for a couple of days until they got used to everyone else. I had heard EE's make good mothers and can get broody but at that young it's amazing.

I have one Black Australorp, and she is very people friendly, loves a lap sit, and doesn't mind being picked up. She also has thr softest feathers and those beautiful, dark eyes. She's a bit of a bully, though. Picks on my New Hampshire Red and pulls feathers from my Brown Leghorn. Despite that, I will probably always want at leadt one in my flock at all times.
1f600.png

Back
Top Bottom