Australorps breed Thread

Just had to share. The dogs were chasing lizards around the yard today and they all stopped at attention. Those two are so stretched out they look like Indian Runner ducks!!

The dark gun metal grey cockerel has decided to get friendly too. Making an even harder decision for me. He's already one of like three different cockerels on my list of which one I want to keep. I picked him up today and he just squatted right down on my hand like "ok, I'll just sit here".

Just had to share. The dogs were chasing lizards around the yard today and they all stopped at attention. Those two are so stretched out they look like Indian Runner ducks!!

The dark gun metal grey cockerel has decided to get friendly too. Making an even harder decision for me. He's already one of like three different cockerels on my list of which one I want to keep. I picked him up today and he just squatted right down on my hand like "ok, I'll just sit here".
Awww what a sweet personality! So cute!
love.gif

Hi, I'm new to this too, wondering why it took me so long :confused:  
The one that you said "it's definitely a cockerel" do you remember how old  he  was when he started showing signs of being male? 

I thought Astraulorps were all black and looking the same but I  guess I was wrong cause I read somewhere on BYC that there are different kinds .

You will absolutely know by 13 weeks id think as from there to 16 weeks crowing should start. I had two, one was lots bigger, more outgoing, larger comb and feathered in at a different rate to the other. Sure it was a boy but at the end of the day they turned out to both be girls. Go figure
1f633.png

And yep they come in black, splash (pretty grey with black splatters on the feathers) and blue (darker grey with darker edge to the feathers). There's also white but not in all countries.

Last edited:
You will absolutely know by 13 weeks id think as from there to 16 weeks crowing should start. I had two, one was lots bigger, more outgoing, larger comb and feathered in at a different rate to the other. Sure it was a boy but at the end of the day they turned out to both be girls. Go figure
1f633.png

And yep they come in black, splash (pretty grey with black splatters on the feathers) and blue (darker grey with darker edge to the feathers). There's also white but not in all countries.
That tells me not to jump to conclusion too soon!
Mine is only 4 weeks ans so far comb, feathers and legs still say pullet...but Cicero told me it could be a cockerel based on posture....I hope not!

Thank you! :)

This popped up in my Facebook feed and I thought you guys might be interested to see as well. What we aim for with Australorps in Australia

I have a question.

I currently own a total of 22 chicken chicks, various ages ranging from 4.5 weeks down to 10-12 days of age. The younger set are constantly talking to the older birds in the brooder box next to them. Could I merge the two groups or should I keep them separated?

The current flock
Older 4.5 weeks old
3 Barred Rock pullets
1 Easter egger
1 Porcelain Belgian Bantam
1 Old English Bantam

Second set 3.5 weeks old
Housed with the 4.5
3 Barred rock cockerels
3 Barred rock pullets
1 Silkie bantam
1 Buff Orp

Youngest set
4 Black Australorp pullets
2 Barred rock pullets
1 Production red pullet
1 Brown leghorn gender unknown

Right now the two older groups are in a huge idaho potato box grocery stores use to sell their bags of potatoes as a stage 2 brooder, the youngsters are in a large steralite container. With the 8 in there it is starting to look a wee bit cramped as they are growing. I dont have any more room in my bedroom for another potato box brooder as i have two so far, one for chickens and one for ducks.

You could try it and see what happens. Mine were about the same age differences when I put them together. There were a few of the oldest ones that picked on the youngest ones a bit, but not enough to draw blood, and things have settled down since then. Sometimes it helps to do it at the same time that you "disturb" the territory... ie... move water food and refresh bedding. It throws off the one ones that have any kind of territorial streak in them. You could also separate any that get mean for a couple days too. Just do it when you can check on them regularly and make quick action if things go bad. So, not on a weekday when you have school or work.

Back
Top Bottom