EmilyAlamano

Chirping
May 31, 2020
We want to get an automatic door for our coop so that our girls are safe and tucked away when the sun goes down, we get home from work after dark and want them to be safe from the coyotes.

Ideally we have one that runs on a timer we could set for 7am and 5:30pm, and then as the seasons change be able to change the time. I am not sure if I trust the solar powered ones because we are in pacific nw and there may not be enough sunlight.

Please take a look at the photo and let me know what you recommend for our setup! Thanks!

Attachments

• 75BB045E-D0C0-4309-9026-5990E00FFBD6.jpeg
    75BB045E-D0C0-4309-9026-5990E00FFBD6.jpeg
    748.7 KB · Views: 32
We want to get an automatic door for our coop so that our girls are safe and tucked away when the sun goes down, we get home from work after dark and want them to be safe from the coyotes.

Ideally we have one that runs on a timer we could set for 7am and 5:30pm, and then as the seasons change be able to change the time. I am not sure if I trust the solar powered ones because we are in pacific nw and there may not be enough sunlight.

Please take a look at the photo and let me know what you recommend for our setup! Thanks!
We just purchased a chicken guard automatic door opener. it’s kinda pricey but from the reviews it sounded good

I love my Omlet automatic coop door! It's battery-powered and has a function to set the close/open time. Here's my review of this item: https://www.backyardchickens.com/reviews/omlet-automatic-coop-door.12009/

There are reviews for other automatic coop doors here: https://www.backyardchickens.com/reviews/categories/automatic-coop-doors.16/
I love my Omlet automatic coop door! It's battery-powered and has a function to set the close/open time. Here's my review of this item: https://www.backyardchickens.com/reviews/omlet-automatic-coop-door.12009/

There are reviews for other automatic coop doors here: https://www.backyardchickens.com/reviews/categories/automatic-coop-doors.16/
Thank you! This looks great!

I have 3 ChickenGuard doors & wouldn't be without them. & the company has been super helpful.

With that said, most people love whatever door they get, you probably can't go wrong. My CG doors work off batteries, but can be plugged in. Some are plug in, some are batteries & some are solar. Some open from the top, some sideways. Mine can be set for certain times or by light sensor (that is adjustable) or both. I think you just need to decide what is important for you & go from there.

I have the Pullet Shut door on both of my coops. You can easily program it to open and close at your desired times. I have had my first one for over 6 years and it has never failed to open or close and its programmed times.

If you made that coop yourself (very nice) then I suggest you build your own. I am going to just drop this copy paste of my comment I left for others. If interested just let me know, and I will make a diagram and parts list.

"
I say build your own. These doors are often made cheap and are not really all that strong. AND THE COST WOW! I have read reviews on all these doors and they all had reviews that say it dies and bad customer service. But why bother. If you build your own you will learn how to fix it and replace small parts on your own.

Here is a video, I just made to demo, this example on how the SONOFF can be used to open and close with the sunrise and sunset but also be controlled by remote. Via RF remote, Phone or PC. I also added the Safety Return Up/Down Feature with pressure switch. It will go up and down until the obstruction is cleared OR it reaches a Attempt Count Limit. Then it stops and holds at the most closed/shut position it can. Video below. Only took 30 min to put together. Timer version in background (video on that one later). Only takes a few connectors, the SONOFF, an $8 counter and a Triple Pole Double Throw Relay.

Don't get discouraged when you see the wiring up on the board. This is a test board with Linear Actuator where I test out most of my wiring setups, so it has to accommodate a multitude of components. The setup I am proposing only needs a limit switch on top and pressures switch/bar, that anyone can make, on bottom of door.

The MHCOZY 4CH WiFi RF Wireless Switch and/or SONOFF 4CHPROR3 both can handle WiFi and they both have RF remote control capability. SONOFF costs $10 more but well worth it.

If that doesn't do it for you I might have a few other options. I also have a multitude of wiring diagrams. Will be making a diagram for the one in the video but I just put it together a bit ago.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ldjQ1tkBt8HznjDsUMlA14M7dZHDLPgr/view?usp=sharing

P.S. This SONOFF is four channel. You only need two of those channels. The other two can be used for automated lights, feeders or water heaters.

On a different note. All this talk about ventilation can also be taken care of with a DIN rail Temperature and Humidity sensor with a linear actuator that will open and close a window."

Back
Top Bottom