Farmgirl1878

Crowing
7 Years
Mar 17, 2017
Piketon, Ohio
My Coop
My Coop
Does anyone use this type of door?

https://smile.amazon.com/Generation-Automatic-Ortis-Programmable-Controller/dp/B09KN3X8WX/ref=sr_1_2_sspa?crid=18RIWT6GSS6XX&keywords=automatic+chicken+coop+door&qid=1641740500&sprefix=Automatic+chicken+,aps,232&sr=8-2-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUEyWFRPVjM0UDlFS1lPJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwODQ4MTkyMlYwWDNXM05FTTdMWSZlbmNyeXB0ZWRBZElkPUEwOTE1NDQ5Mk5RVk5RQUtaSUZUNSZ3aWRnZXROYW1lPXNwX2F0ZiZhY3Rpb249Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=

005AA320-CD25-4B53-AD92-25885024FC92.jpeg

Right now, we are using the JVR auto door but it keeps burning out motors because the sand dust gets in there and on the solenoid and makes it grind to a halt.

For those of you who have sand in the coop, what do you use?

I use an Adoor1. I do not have sand in my coop, but there is sand/ dirt nearby in the run. The channels on my unit are not that tight fit, so debris does not jam the channels.
My unit has been working fine since 2017.
Ador1 is considerably higher priced than the Amazon unit you posted above. It is also a larger opening if I recall correctly. Uses a 6 volt lantern battery, and that lasts over a year of operation. No need to provide electric current to coop.
396.jpg

WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, :highfive:

I don't use sand either, but there is dirt and what not around. This is the door I use and have had no issues with it, easy to use and runs off 2 AA batteries that I have not replaced yet. Keep us posted what you decide on:D
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08LP1MYJJ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I'm familiar with this pop door from Amazon. I have read posts about it,,, and the negative points were;; Battery will not last as long as stated. Second point is,,, motor is not very strong,,,,, although it will work under good conditions. I'm in northern weather snow/ice country during winter. My door never failed due to weather. It did show weakness in rising,,,,,, which indicated I need to change Battery. My batteries generally last about 1½ years.
You can tell which battery has potential to generate more horsepower :old well,, maybe chicken-power:gig

image_2022-01-11_191507.png
image_2022-01-11_191550.png

I'm familiar with this pop door from Amazon. I have read posts about it,,, and the negative points were;; Battery will not last as long as stated. Second point is,,, motor is not very strong,,,,, although it will work under good conditions. I'm in northern weather snow/ice country during winter. My door never failed due to weather. It did show weakness in rising,,,,,, which indicated I need to change Battery. My batteries generally last about 1½ years.
You can tell which battery has potential to generate more horsepower :old well,, maybe chicken-power:gig

View attachment 2957477View attachment 2957479
It's been almost a year with the same batteries in it, I wouldn't say it's slow to open. I read the reviews also and me personally, I love it! And the red matches my coop:D :woot :woot

I (finally) decided to go with a Pullet-Shut door, mounted on the outside of the coop. I think it’ll work better, with less maintenance, in the long run. I already have power pulled to the coop, so the battery life wasn’t really a consideration. I did go ahead and get the trickle charger and a battery for those few times a year when the power goes out as Tony (from www.chickendoors.com) said that the delay between when the power goes off and the whole house generator comes on will trigger the door to revert to the initial programming. No biggie as I’m planning to use it with the light sensor anyway.🤞🏻🤞🏻

View attachment 2957477View attachment 2957479

I'm also thinking of getting this door but several reviews on Amazon stated that the door stopped working after a few months. How long have you been using yours for?

Back
Top Bottom