awww MAN! Second chick died today....

wanderseek

In the Brooder
9 Years
Apr 2, 2010
east central Indiana
So last week, my husband woke me up hollering about the chicks being out and the dog eating them. He had one and had removed (and eaten?) its head. Dang it! We have/had one chick that has always been a little limpy, favoring one leg. Never noticed her being bothered by the others before. We came home today, and she was laying on her side, very near death. On inspection, she had blood about her tail area. She was still breathing, and I picked her up. There was a large area on her other side that had been vigorous pecked at and eaten away. I guess once they get a taste of blood, they go a little berzerk, huh? She died just a few minutes later, the poor little thing. Do chicks have a thing for picking on the weaker ones? Also, we had to separate our bantams from the others because ALL the bantams were getting picked on. The base of their tails have been pecked and have been bleeding. They don't seem to be picking on eachother, and they are healing up now. Just wanted to share, and to be told that it's all gonna be okay! **sigh!!**
idunno.gif
hu.gif
hit.gif

I'm sorry about your little chick.
hugs.gif
And to answer your question, yes, they will peck each other to death. Once they see blood, they will keep at it until the chick dies. Just keep an eye on the rest of your little ones. Try using a red heat light for them, they say it helps to prevent pecking. Best of luck to you.
fl.gif

I'm sorry about your little chick.
hugs.gif
And to answer your question, yes, they will peck each other to death. Once they see blood, they will keep at it until the chick dies. Just keep an eye on the rest of your little ones. Try using a red heat light for them, they say it helps to prevent pecking. Best of luck to you.
fl.gif
I know I’m replying to such an old post, but what if they are out of the brooder doing this?

Back
Top Bottom