<b>EGG BOUND HEN????

I recently lost a year-old Easter Egger to stroke (probably) after she had been egg bound and finally layed a giant soft-shelled egg. She was visibly straining and making weird noises, so I had an idea that might have been the problem, but warm baths and lube didn't help, and I wasn't able to feel an egg up there. She must have had it for quite some time. I found her before work one morning curled up under the roost next to her giant white egg.

Hope your girl recovers, and that she isn't egg bound!

You can use mineral oil, I use a rubber glove also. You can put your finger in her vent, but you have to be careful, there is a membrane in there that you can not damage.

Quote:
I have a chicken EXATCLY like that , I was told she was is a black star sex link . And she is OVER 20 weeks old , so late for a sex link too .. maybe she is not a sex link ?

hopefully broody
fl.gif

This spring I had a pullet go broody after laying for about a week - we put 7 assorted eggs under her and she was content. But then one of the older hens got jealous and went broody herself - tried to take over the nest, sat for hours in another nest with no eggs, made a lot of noise. So when it was time for the eggs under the pullet to hatch, I got a couple of day old chicks from the feed store and really quickly slipped them under the other hen's bottom. Voila! her (non-existent) eggs had hatched, she had 2 babies to take care of, and she was broody no longer.

Long story short - try giving her some babies!
tongue.png

Back
Top Bottom