Baby bantam Cochin rooster attacked by dog help!

scoopsmom

Songster
May 4, 2017
Texas
I have a 2 month old Bantam Cochin Rooster (at least I think he's a Cochin) who got attacked by my dog! The chickens were out in the yard and when my mom went out to put them away she saw my brave Little rooster seemingly dead at my stupid dog's feet.:( She thought he was dead but when she picked him up realized he was alive! He was in shock: beak open, panting, his little comb was light pink, and he was limp. :hitthe only visible injury, other than him being completely limp, was a little wound on the bottom of his foot (heel). I've looked at it...it was bleeding, and I think it's a puncture wound but it's hard to tell and if it is, it's small. It happened in the evening. We got him to drink a little water and let him see that his ladies were all safe, then made a little hay bed for him and set him in it in his coup. We honestly didn't expect him to make it thru the night, and I was so upset I was crying up until I went to sleep and even then couldn't sleep just thinking about him.

Anyways, next morning he was still alive! I held him and got him to eat and drink a little of his chick food which has medicine in it. He kept dozing off but I read that's normal. He even groomed himself a little. I read more about what to do (this is my first time having chickens) and it said to separate him and keep him warm cuz he was shivering. So I put him in the box I kept all my chicks in when they were small. I got him some electrolytes that I put in his water..he only took 6 drinks cuz he can't stay awake. I also put tree tea oil on his wound. As far as his movement... I'll put him facing one direction and check him later and he's facing the opposite direction. I think he sorta pushes a little with one of his feet and uses his wings to move himself. I had him in my lap and he was sorta standing with me holding him. So he is improving.

But I just want to know what you guys think?? Is a full recovery possible? Anything else I should be doing for him?

He's my favorite and I love him so much! He has to be ok.:fl

This is Scoops when he was well

Attachments

• 20170502_164230.jpg
    20170502_164230.jpg
    1,021.6 KB · Views: 5
He's adorable!

Give him some time. Continue to encourage him to drink - add some poultry vitamins to his water if you have them. Give him some extra protein like egg or tuna in addition to his chick starter.

Check him over really well for any more wounds - feathers hide so much. Dogs tend to squeeze causing internal injuries as well.

Do the best you can, keep him warm, but watch the heat - ideal temp for a sick/injured chicken is somewhere around 75-80F.

Keep us posted.

He's doing so much better today! I just had him out and he's much more alert almost as much as he normally is. He stands! He's very wobbly and I have to put my hand under his butt or he falls forward or just kinda rocks backward. I wanted him to stand to eat on his own but still put my hand for him to rock back on. At first he had his toes curled in when he tried to stand. I felt his little legs and toes again and nothing seems broken and he shows no sign of pain anywhere, I just don't know why he can't stand fully. This is only day 3 tho.

I have a 2 month old Bantam Cochin Rooster (at least I think he's a Cochin) who got attacked by my dog! The chickens were out in the yard and when my mom went out to put them away she saw my brave Little rooster seemingly dead at my stupid dog's feet.:( She thought he was dead but when she picked him up realized he was alive! He was in shock: beak open, panting, his little comb was light pink, and he was limp. :hitthe only visible injury, other than him being completely limp, was a little wound on the bottom of his foot (heel). I've looked at it...it was bleeding, and I think it's a puncture wound but it's hard to tell and if it is, it's small. It happened in the evening. We got him to drink a little water and let him see that his ladies were all safe, then made a little hay bed for him and set him in it in his coup. We honestly didn't expect him to make it thru the night, and I was so upset I was crying up until I went to sleep and even then couldn't sleep just thinking about him.

Anyways, next morning he was still alive! I held him and got him to eat and drink a little of his chick food which has medicine in it. He kept dozing off but I read that's normal. He even groomed himself a little. I read more about what to do (this is my first time having chickens) and it said to separate him and keep him warm cuz he was shivering. So I put him in the box I kept all my chicks in when they were small. I got him some electrolytes that I put in his water..he only took 6 drinks cuz he can't stay awake. I also put tree tea oil on his wound. As far as his movement... I'll put him facing one direction and check him later and he's facing the opposite direction. I think he sorta pushes a little with one of his feet and uses his wings to move himself. I had him in my lap and he was sorta standing with me holding him. So he is improving.

But I just want to know what you guys think?? Is a full recovery possible? Anything else I should be doing for him?

BTW, tea tree oil is bad for chickens.

I have a feeling he will be all right. Just keep trying!

Back
Top Bottom