Baby Chick around 6 weeks, is very sick! Coccidiosis treatment started but could it be a deficiency?

Pics

Tanya22

Songster
5 Years
Oct 23, 2018
India
We found a baby chick around 6 weeks back lying on the road and brought her back home. She (her name is Tooki) might be of the broiler breed. Not sure. But now for the past 5 days she has suddenly gotten very sick and stopped moving around. We had purchased a baby chick (Brownie) so that Tooki would have company. But Brownie is almost double in size of Tooki even though she is younger! Tooki has not had much growth ever since we brought her and she still fits in my palms.

So, this is what happened:
5 days ago Tooki just stopped moving and her legs got very weak and started sleeping constantly. She constantly spreads her wings for balance and has not been able to drink on her own at all. I have been holding her above her water bowl for all of these days and otherwise she has been drinking and eating properly, but with huge balance problems. She and her sister Brownie also have red mucus in their droppings since five days ago. We rushed her to the Vet on day 1 and he told us to give them Antibiotics and a Vitamin syrup. I gave it to them for 3 days. On the 4th day (yesterday) we stopped this and started treatment for Coccidiosis. I had been noticing Tooki's symptoms and reported to the vet. Their is no place here where I can get their poo tested at unfortunately.
I have started giving both the babies around 1 gram of Coccicinil (It has Amprolium in it) mixed with 1 litre of water, two times a day.

Please please tell me what else I can do for them! Brownie, except for the red mucous like thing in her poo, is still active. But Tooki is very weak, when before she wouldn't stop chirping! Do tell me what can I do for her to become healthy again and so that her legs heal.
Please help me out as I cannot bear to lose them. They are literally like my children and I just want them to get well.

Yes, you can add rolled oats, wheat, sesame seeds, whole sunflower seeds and flax seeds to the maize and soy to make a more nutritious feed. During warm spells, I recommend cutting way back on the maize since it's so high in carbohydrates and causes excess body heat. If you are in a region that has very warm climate most of the time, I would eliminate the maize.

Where are you? In the USA or somewhere else? I suggest you ask your vet for a sulfa drug to treat possible necrotic enteritis associated with coccidia eating away at the intestinal lining causing the blood to show up in the stools.

You could be looking at Marek's in addition to coccidiosis and an intestinal infection. If the chick dies, a necropsy can tell you if it had Marek's. Your other chick could then be assumed to be also infected with it.

The red mucous should not be present every day. It's not possible to have an accurate diagnosis without testing. Can you ask your vet if they can do a fecal float test on poop? It can find worms and protozoa and determine what kind you're dealing with.

The leg weakness can be caused by coccidiosis. It can also be caused by Marek's virus and neuro-toxins such as molds and petroleum distillates.
I can't tell you how frustrating it is for me here. I asked my vet but he doesn't do these tests. I asked a vet lab but they don't either. I will ask around some more tomorrow.
PS It is so sad that everything related to chicks is done in a wholesale scale. Like i have asked for vaccines and chick feed but no one wants to sell!
Also, should I add something else other than maize and soya and salt to their feed for nutrition?

Maybe @Saaniya can help guide you where to get some of the things you need. I know India is a big country, but at least she is there and would know better than we would. She is studying veterinary medicine too. Good luck with the chick.
That would be a great help! I have tried so hard and have been studying up as much as I can. But I am not a professional so..

Where you live, do you often see wild chickens living on their own? If so, you may have found one of these wild chicks. Tooki may have been driven off by her mother hen because the hen could tell there is something wrong with her. Even domestic chickens will often do this when they sense a chick has hatched with genetic abnormalities.

I suspect Tooki hatched with genetic problems. A baby chick sometimes hatches with immature or incomplete organs. Sometimes this affects how efficiently they utilize the nutrients in food. The result will be a chick that doesn't grow. Eventually, such a chick may get sick due to insufficient nutrient uptake and a poor immune system. I believe Tooki may be in this predicament.

There is a chance you can rally her with vitamins and nutritional food. If you can find a bottle of liquid baby vitamin supplements, that would be a big help to Tooki. If you can find some vitamin E oil and selenium, 400iu of the E daily with just a tiny sliver off a selenium tablet can help repair any balance issues. B-complex can help strengthen the weak legs. If you ferment Tooki's feed, that releases many more nutrients as well as natural probiotics. Your other chick can also benefit from this fermented feed.

I urge you to contact @Saaniya or be ready for her to contact you. She's in India, too, and can make suggestions as to where to look for these vitamins. She's also studying to be a vet and understands chickens. She would be a big help to you. Click on the user name and it will take you to her profile page. Click on "start a conversation" and it will open a comment box that goes straight to her private mail box.

Where you live, do you often see wild chickens living on their own? If so, you may have found one of these wild chicks. Tooki may have been driven off by her mother hen because the hen could tell there is something wrong with her. Even domestic chickens will often do this when they sense a chick has hatched with genetic abnormalities.

I suspect Tooki hatched with genetic problems. A baby chick sometimes hatches with immature or incomplete organs. Sometimes this affects how efficiently they utilize the nutrients in food. The result will be a chick that doesn't grow. Eventually, such a chick may get sick due to insufficient nutrient uptake and a poor immune system. I believe Tooki may be in this predicament.

There is a chance you can rally her with vitamins and nutritional food. If you can find a bottle of liquid baby vitamin supplements, that would be a big help to Tooki. If you can find some vitamin E oil and selenium, 400iu of the E daily with just a tiny sliver off a selenium tablet can help repair any balance issues. B-complex can help strengthen the weak legs. If you ferment Tooki's feed, that releases many more nutrients as well as natural probiotics. Your other chick can also benefit from this fermented feed.

I urge you to contact @Saaniya or be ready for her to contact you. She's in India, too, and can make suggestions as to where to look for these vitamins. She's also studying to be a vet and understands chickens. She would be a big help to you. Click on the user name and it will take you to her profile page. Click on "start a conversation" and it will open a comment box that goes straight to her private mail box.

Thanks buddy yes she messaged me ..
She told her vet is giving tetracycline
Which is useless in coccidia
I recommend for sulmet as it's the most common in India instead corid

Hope her chicks get well

I am living in India. My vet has also given me Trepin Powder (Sulfa Drug) but till now he hasn't told me to use it. I don't have access to any Chick feed starter or Vaccines as no one here is ready to sell it for just one or two chicks. I have been giving them Maize + Soya with salt mixed in it. Of course the ingredients are ground so that they can eat easily.
Should I add anything else to their feed?

No no no.no salt they will.die with salt toxicity

Back
Top Bottom