Baby chick broken leg

Pics
The bone is sticking out of the leg ... I just left home but I can try to get a pic after will be hard as it’s a small area and it’s bloody...

Okay, that's not good, I thought you meant that the leg was sticking out at an angle at the hock joint. It sounds like it's actually a compound fracture with exposed bone outside the skin?

Okay, that's not good, I thought you meant that the leg was sticking out at an angle at the hock joint. It sounds like it's actually a compound fracture with exposed bone outside the skin?
I think so I’m not sure how it happened she was hatched under a hen I went to give her some vitamins because she was weak when she hatched and I noticed the leg so I brought it inside is now in the brooder

I can’t at the moment .... I’m not home ... will when I get home ... is there anything I can do though ? Try to push the bone back in and splint it ... or give food and water close and it could live off one leg ???

I'd really need to see pictures before I can recommend anything. Depending on how bad this is, there could be a large chance of infection, and the best thing might be to cull. But pictures first. Let me tag a couple others as well who may have some ideas.

@staceyj @casportpony

I can’t at the moment .... I’m not home ... will when I get home ... is there anything I can do though ? Try to push the bone back in and splint it ... or give food and water close and it could live off one leg ???

Others might have other options but I would cull. A compound fracture has a high likelihood of becoming dangerously infected.

Back
Top Bottom