Pics
Hello,

This will be long but I hope you all will bare with me. I have a one month old chick (just made one month on November 13th) and she's been doing really well during her first weeks til now since we have been raising her. Just recently she had an injury when my mom was bringing her in the house cause she usually walks up the stairs by herself and goes through the door. The door just shut on her just right before she could get it and it squished her a bit according to what my mom had told me. The first day she could barely fly but was still walking around and eating. And then around the second day she was doing well. Then a few days after she started to fly around again in the house and could eat and drink on her own. However, this past Wednesday night before Thanksgiving, as my baby chick was in her pen eating her food, my niece accidentally knocked over the heating lamp that was over her and she got really scared and ran around and then flew out. She gets really frightened of it even when we tried moving it away at times or adjusting it.

Moving on, around that same night she started acting odd. She was moving away from my mom when my mom tried to hold her. And when I checked on her again at a later time. Her feet was so cold and she was just standing up sleeping and looked very weak. I put her under the heating plate and kept her warm til the next morning. Then next day comes (Thanksgiving) throughout the whole day she wouldn't eat and we would only just spoon feed her water. And thankfully she kept drinking the water. But she had no appetite to eat (even tried putting water in her chick feed and feeding that to her but she doesn't eat it), she slept the entire day and at times she would lay on her side and sleep, no chirping or anything. At times when she did stand up she would walk but then fall over or roll to the side...Then the worst came when that night she kept jerking her head and at one point she laid on her side and then she started chirping loudly and it looked like she was afraid and she titled her head way back and she was walking while laying on her side and we all thought she had died or was having a seizure..:hitThankfully she did not die and she stopped and just slept again. But at that point, the water she drank some of it she spat out and her poop is mostly watery (white and a little brown) In the beginning it was normal but now its just water and white since she doesn't eat. But now today we bought her electrolytes since she's still drinking water and we gave her some of that along with regular water. We're hoping that it will give her a little more strength since she's not eating still. Today she is now standing up and she walked a little at times but mostly sleeps while doing so. She now opens her mouth and closes it again and shakes her head. And this whole time she's been sick, she ruffles her feathers. We live in a small town, so the vet we wanted to see is closed so we have to wait til Monday...

I'm trying everything I can to pinpoint what could be wrong with our little chick. We don't know if it was because she was scared because of what happened with the heating lamp. Because she was getting better before then. And I've read that chickens, because they do get scared easily they can die or get a weak heart. Maybe explains why her feet gets cold? No circulation going to her legs? If it could be something she ate? She does eat regular chick feed and we do put a little organic oatmeal and flax seeds that she loves. We did have her on medicated feed before to prevent her from getting coccidiosis. But it was only for a short while. Don't know if maybe she could have worms/parasites now? And is it okay if we leave her under the heating plate at night. Her feet does get cold and we tried wrapping her in a blanket as an alternative but she does tend to get out. Also her vent is clean and there are no signs of bruising anywhere on her. I'm sorry if this is such a long post but I'm trying to make it from start to finish to give out much information I can and I just really don't want her to die. We all love her so much and I'd be so devastated if I lost her especially my mom who spends the most time with her because she's always home alone when we are at work and her grandchildren are at school. Please..any advice or help that anyone may know of what I can do to save/help her I would appreciate so much. Thank you.
I DUNNO MY GUTS SAYING TREAT FOR PARASITES OR WORMS ??I HAD THEM IN MY 7 MO. OLDS OFF N ON ALL SUMMER IM THINKING COULD THIS JUST BE COUNCIDENTAL IN TIMING?? I'M NOT A PRO BUT I LEARN QUICK...I STRUGGLED UNTIL I FOUND MY REMEDY..PS MINE ALSO JERKING OF HEAD NO APPETITE SYMPTOMS OF WORMS.. SO I USE 1 TSP APPLE CIDER VINEGAR IN ONE GALLON OF WATER..I DO THIS RO TREAT MY 8 PULLETS BUT PLEASE RESEARCH BEFORE USING.. IT'S ONLY VINEGAR AGNE NO PARASITE OR WORM CAN SURVIVE THIS TREATMENT.. IT'S NOT HARMFUL ToXIC ACTUALLY it's just apple cider vinegar..I do have a second treatment remedy/ plus preventative (diatomaceous earth FOOD GRADE ONLY) BUT PLEASE PLEASE CHECK OUT BEFORE USING.. COULD NOT FORGIVE MYSELF IF SOMETHING HAPPENED BUT BOTH ARE USED BY FARMERS ALL OVER THE WORLD

:hugs I'm so terribly sorry!

Thank you~ the
I DUNNO MY GUTS SAYING TREAT FOR PARASITES OR WORMS ??I HAD THEM IN MY 7 MO. OLDS OFF N ON ALL SUMMER IM THINKING COULD THIS JUST BE COUNCIDENTAL IN TIMING?? I'M NOT A PRO BUT I LEARN QUICK...I STRUGGLED UNTIL I FOUND MY REMEDY..PS MINE ALSO JERKING OF HEAD NO APPETITE SYMPTOMS OF WORMS.. SO I USE 1 TSP APPLE CIDER VINEGAR IN ONE GALLON OF WATER..I DO THIS RO TREAT MY 8 PULLETS BUT PLEASE RESEARCH BEFORE USING.. IT'S ONLY VINEGAR AGNE NO PARASITE OR WORM CAN SURVIVE THIS TREATMENT.. IT'S NOT HARMFUL ToXIC ACTUALLY it's just apple cider vinegar..I do have a second treatment remedy/ plus preventative (diatomaceous earth FOOD GRADE ONLY) BUT PLEASE PLEASE CHECK OUT BEFORE USING.. COULD NOT FORGIVE MYSELF IF SOMETHING HAPPENED BUT BOTH ARE USED BY FARMERS ALL OVER THE WORLD

I heard about the apple cider vinegar but I was so unsure about what was wrong with her. Even right now I can't pinpoint what was wrong, and its so hard where I live because I have no vet around here (I live in a small town). I'm thinking if it might be the dirt that she was walking on because we have a lot of loose chickens around out yard. Some roosters and hens with chicks. So I thought maybe she could have got coccidiosis so we treated her with Corid. She seemed to have gotten better on the second day she was on it but was not eating. All she could do was drink via spoon feeding. Then on the third day, she had troubling breathing and she had seizures and she died...

I'm still so devastated and this is a new learning experience for me. But I'm thinking in the future I may want to get chicks again and hopefully raise them successfully. Right now its just too hard and I think I want to do more research and learn more about raising them right so I'll be more prepared. And knowing that this community exists I know where I can ask questions from experienced people like you. I'm in the healing process right now and I know it'll take time. But in the meantime, I appreciate your help and thank you for everything.

:hugsNo, Another chick can not replace Nugget,But they can find a new spot in your heart when your ready.:hugs

I know it'll take some time and I want to be able to learn more about raising them right. But knowing that this community exist helps me to know where I can go to if I need any help. Thank you so much :hugs

Back
Top Bottom