Baby Chick Found on Side of Road - Help with breed/sex/age?

8hipchicks

Songster
10 Years
Aug 7, 2009
My daughter and I were driving home from a meeting around midnight the other night and she tells me to stop and turn around because she’s certain she’s seen a small chick huddled in the dirt on the side of the road.

I turn around and, sure enough, there, illuminated under a streetlight on the dark main road, is this huddled baby chick.

Obviously we were concerned and scooped the precious little one up and brought it home. Luckily, my husband was really great about this new, if temporary, addition to the family.

Can’t figure out where it came from or how it got there.
idunno.gif

We lost my daughter’s favorite hen 15 month old BO named Jasmine two weeks ago (we think it was her heart – no signs of illness – she just faded)
hit.gif
and my daughter is convinced that Jasmine knows how sad she is and this little foundling is Jasmine’s way of helping my daughter to heal from the loss. Uh-oh.

Any help on breed/age/sex would be appreciated. To me she/he looks to be about 3-4 weeks old.

100_7562.jpg

100_7564.jpg

100_7566.jpg

100_7567.jpg

100_7575.jpg

100_7574.jpg

How beautiful of your daughter to feel that way
hugs.gif

Don't burst her bubble, she could be on to something!

Could be a hatchery chick that someone bought and couldn't deal with. Not sure of the breed. Hope someone comes along soon that can help you more than I can!

Quote:
Funny you should mention the possibility that it could be an abandoned hatchery chick because the local feed store has said abandoned chicks are epidemic this time of year because of the parents that buy baby chicks as Easter presents and then don't want to deal with them. This chick doesn't look like any of the breeds they carry.

My daughter is very sweet and loves chickens. She's really hoping its a pullet because she already named it "Rima" (pronounced "reema") which in Japanes means "little Jasmine blossom" because she thinks this one came from her Jasmine.

We added four sassy/adventersome pullets to our flock this year (they are just about 2 months now). My daughter calls them "The Ya-Ya's" (from the book "Divine Secrets of the Ya-Ya Sisterhood"). She calls this found one the "Petite Ya-Ya".

They all seem to be getting along well.
smile.png

I really hope this is a pullet.
tongue.png

Yah know it's funny how things happen for a reason. The odds were not in this little chicken's favor that it would be rescued and just by chance your daughter spotted it, your family happens to care for chickens, AND you caught it. Id say this was meant to be! lol Thank you for giving this little one a good home and who knows, maybe your Jasmine was guiding this little one to your daughter. Seems to me that your daughter needed the chicken just as much as the chicken needed your daughter.
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom