Baby chick HELP PLEASE!!!!

chickenlover286

In the Brooder
7 Years
Jul 15, 2012
I have a guinea fowl that just hatched a day or 2 or so, it has very unstable legs and cant walk, it just lays their all day. We put carboard under to help. Do you have any methods to get it stronger? I give it sugar water everyday now. I tried the scrambled eggs thing and it wouldn't eat... it doesn't eat food unless forced..... Help Please!!
sickbyc.gif
th.gif

Last edited:
I don't know about guinea fowls but is it just one chick or many? If the chick is lethargic and not really wanting to eat or drink you have to keep force feeding. Do fresh egg yolk and water together and feed him through a syringe. Or do the same thing with plain organic yogurt. You can try and mush medicated chick feed and water together too. Once he starts moving by himself, he will probably start to drink and eat by himself but right he's just weak. Unfortunately, some chicks just don't make it no matter what you do. It could also do a disease so is sleepiness or non moving the only symptoms? Best of luck!

I had 2 three day old chicks that were doing the same thing, I gave them both the same things, meal worms and grasshoppers too, but one made it and one didn't.

Good thoughts coming your way! :)

I have a guinea fowl that just hatched a day or 2 or so, it has very unstable legs and cant walk, it just lays their all day. We put carboard under to help. Do you have any methods to get it stronger? I give it sugar water everyday now. I tried the scrambled eggs thing and it wouldn't eat... it doesn't eat food unless forced..... Help Please!!
sickbyc.gif
th.gif
Unstable legs? Do you mean splay legs? I don't understand how putting cardboard under it would help. Cardboard would be a slick surface for a bird that is already struggling to stand on. Try an old towel or rougher surface. If it has splay legs use a bandaid, halved lengthwise, fastened between the legs to keep the legs from splaying. Keep that on for about two to three days until it gains strength in the legs. I agree on the egg yolk for nourishment. I have found baby food to also be useful in force feeding situations. The rice cereal or green peas to be exact.

it has unstable, like... not stable, we have it in a coop thing that its leg gets caught in, we bought on a chicken website
big_smile.png

The yolk has helped so much! s/he is doing so much, we will stick with that from now on.... Thank you so much for telling me that
jumpy.gif

Back
Top Bottom