Baby chick loves playing in water

Criticalicious

Crowing
Feb 25, 2017
New Market, VA
Last week I acquired 3 Black Copper Maran chicks, and they are thriving (the breeder only had 3; I'm going back for 3 more on Thursday). One I am fairly confident is a rooster, because of how he walks and stands compared to the other two.

And he is enamored with WATER. I gave them a standard chick waterer, the kind with a tray and a mason jar, to drink from as well as a horizontal nipple drinker. He plays in the tray of water and he is fascinated about drinking from the nipple waterer. I propped up the tray drinker and added shelf liner in it to prevent drowning (didn't have marbles).

I check on them frequently to be sure they aren't getting wet and chilled, and they can run under the heat plate any time they like. They're currently in a brooder inside the house. I keep my house temperature between 66 and 74 degrees F.

Has anyone had a chick play in the water? My adult chickens are scared to death to stand in a pan of water, so this is new to me. It's darn cute to hear the giggles though.

These are only my second time with chicks, and this guy is already quite the character. The first three days I had them, about 7:20 am he stood on top of the heat plate and screamed bloody murder. I think he was lost or looking for other chicks. He dislikes when I leave the room too. And he refuses to eat the fermented feed but I shall not give up! :)

I propped up the tray drinker and added shelf liner in it to prevent drowning (didn't have marbles).
Curious how shelf liner takes the place of marbles?
Post a pic, please?
Maybe he's enamored with, or just curious about, the shelf liner material?
Have never seen a chick 'play' in an open waterer,
the HN's get quite a work out tho...that shiny pin!

Last week I acquired 3 Black Copper Maran chicks, and they are thriving (the breeder only had 3; I'm going back for 3 more on Thursday). One I am fairly confident is a rooster, because of how he walks and stands compared to the other two.

And he is enamored with WATER. I gave them a standard chick waterer, the kind with a tray and a mason jar, to drink from as well as a horizontal nipple drinker. He plays in the tray of water and he is fascinated about drinking from the nipple waterer. I propped up the tray drinker and added shelf liner in it to prevent drowning (didn't have marbles).

I check on them frequently to be sure they aren't getting wet and chilled, and they can run under the heat plate any time they like. They're currently in a brooder inside the house. I keep my house temperature between 66 and 74 degrees F.

Has anyone had a chick play in the water? My adult chickens are scared to death to stand in a pan of water, so this is new to me. It's darn cute to hear the giggles though.
My baby silkie thinks that she is a duck!!:lau:gig
80725147-0C98-4347-8EAC-BB2B1DA35DB8.jpeg
871880F5-62A7-4531-A44A-F7674AB8BFC4.jpeg

Yes, he was also attacking the shelf liner, although he's recently stopped doing that and finally accepted the fermented feed. I used the shelf liner to prevent drowning because it blocks some of the water and provides a rough surface for the chick to stand on. I would have used marbles if I had thought ahead. The dish isn't that deep to begin with and propping it up helped too. If I had smaller chicks like bantams, this would not be ideal.

20190405_101718.jpg

So cuteeeee I think no need to worry except if it's cold

My Cemani chicks are three weeks old and are doing something with their water. There are two of them. I check in them multiple times a day and have to clean their brooder and fill their water. I changed out the waterer thinking there maybe a leak. No. I put in a bigger waterer and this morning, water everywhere. It doesn’t leak. They seem to like walking in it.

It’s very warm here in South Mississippi so I plan on moving them into the little coop later today.

I love the picture of the chick in the marble bowl. I think I may try that and see if I can keep it clean enough. They are so much fun!

Back
Top Bottom