Baby Chick not pooping/eating *graphic photos*

It didn’t have access to anything else to eat other than chick crumbles or the soaked, runny chick crumbles I tried to no avail. I did do a necropsy, though I’m definitely a novice in that respect. Lots more ‘twists’ and knots in the digestive tract than I’ve seen in any other chicken, spots full of air and areas that did contain coagulated blood when opened. I’m not sure if the pics help at all since I’ve untied the knots.. or if I’ve even taken pictures of the right areas.

C3EC8A4A-EB40-435A-9A43-146B4B3494CD.jpeg

BF99C92B-423A-4C20-98A4-F4868904ED29.jpeg

Thanks so much everyone for your advice and help. So very appreciative. It’s so nice to be able to ask a group of knowledgeable chicken people when google just doesn’t do the trick. ♥️

A few minutes before it died, it passed a significant stream of diarrhea which contained little pieces of what almost appeared like charcoal when squished/rubbed with a Kleenex.

I'm saddened by the loss of your chick. I had one that had an intestinal blockage from the day she arrived at my local post office. She struggled with a swollen, inflamed vent, constipation that caused her a great deal of pain when she tried to poop, acute lethargy, and she never improved from any treatment I tried. This happens with new chicks, but understanding that never makes it any easier when they don't survive.

Did the chick get anything to eat that wasn't chick crumbles? If so, did it have access to chick grit?

The black solid matter could be coagulated blood. Watch the others for signs of coccidiosis and signs of lethargy and loss of appetite.

I would definitely recommend trying an necropsy (autopsy). Cut open both the gizzard and intestines to look for anything abnormal. If you take photos and post them we can take a stab at identifying what may have gone wrong.

Back
Top Bottom