IamHEC

In the Brooder
Aug 15, 2023
I have a 3wk-ish Cream Legbar that is falling over when she is preening her back end. The best way to describe is she looks top heavy and falls over. She is getting lethargic but is still drinking some; haven't seen her eat but her food is disturbed when I check on her. She does run around and walk normal at times but when she looks like she is doing well, she will topple over. Other than that, she has NO OTHER SYMPTOMS. No pasty butt, vent looks good, normal poo, eyes bright and feathers that are coming in on the wings look good. I do not have a vet near me that specializes in chickens, so that's a dead end. Any help would be appreciated.

Welcome To BYC

Where are you located in the world?
Photos of her, her poop and the brooder?

Is she the only chick?

What do you feed?

Is her crop emptying overnight?
I'm located in the South East , U.S.A. I do not think photos would be helpful in answering any questions. She is palm size, poop is normal, crop seems normal, and I have moved her into a 12x12 mini brooder to separate her from my others. She is on a grower crumble feed and I started her on a probiotic and electrolyte mix in her water.

Attachments

• 20230815_152546.jpg
    20230815_152546.jpg
    494.5 KB · Views: 8
  • 20230815_152612.jpg
    20230815_152612.jpg
    632.4 KB · Views: 8
She is on a grower crumble feed and I started her on a probiotic and electrolyte mix in her water.
What % protein is the grower crumble?

I'd put her on puppy pads so she has an easier time walking around.

If she can walk, eat/drink on her own and is active, I'd consider leaving her with her flock so she's not picked on when you attempt to put her back with them.

What % protein is the grower crumble?

I'd put her on puppy pads so she has an easier time walking around.

If she can walk, eat/drink on her own and is active, I'd consider leaving her with her flock so she's not picked on when you attempt to put her back with them.
It is 18% protein.

She appears to be improving. She is half the size of my other birds so I'm not comfortable putting her back with the others just yet. I am planning on slowly putting her back in. This morning, when I put her in with the others she would run around with them, trying to keep up and either get knocked over by the bigger ones or shove herself under/ in between them. I don't want her to further injure herself.

I have a 3wk-ish Cream Legbar that is falling over when she is preening her back end. The best way to describe is she looks top heavy and falls over. She is getting lethargic but is still drinking some; haven't seen her eat but her food is disturbed when I check on her. She does run around and walk normal at times but when she looks like she is doing well, she will topple over. Other than that, she has NO OTHER SYMPTOMS. No pasty butt, vent looks good, normal poo, eyes bright and feathers that are coming in on the wings look good. I do not have a vet near me that specializes in chickens, so that's a dead end. Any help would be appreciated.
I attached a pic of my two creambars but the same age but the dark one is the one with leg issues. Is it too late to split her legs to help with strength?

Attachments

• 20230816_120034.jpg
    20230816_120034.jpg
    896 KB · Views: 5
She does run around and walk normal at times

when I put her in with the others she would run around with them, trying to keep up and either get knocked over by the bigger ones or shove herself under/ in between them.

Is it too late to split her legs to help with strength?
I wouldn't splint the legs if she's able to walk and run around.

Give her 1/4 tablet B-Complex daily if her legs seem weak.

Back
Top Bottom