Baby chick with leg issue

ZarianaJ

In the Brooder
Aug 27, 2017
Hi,

So I'm new here but I have a Cuckoo Maran chick that has leg issues. Below are some pictures of her. Her legs are kinda crooked in and she holds them really close to her body. On top of that her feet do not straighten out. I am able to manually spread her toes but they go back as soon as I let go. But even spread they seem kind of ... flat?? I was wondering if there was anything I could do to correct them? I was thinking maybe splints or booties or something? She is about 4 days old now I don't know if age will affect my ability to fix it.

I also have to help her eat and drink because she has mobility issues. I was wondering if there was a food I would be able to feed her by syringe that is more measurable then just the starter. Like a 'treat' kind of food to keep her calorie intake up? Or maybe I could mix a mash? Any advice would be helpful. Thanks in advance!
RHaLTJRR_SJPwAH6r8kXVrJ4yiPmBWVPnseLTvC_2DrC1wmmkvGt-6FvJQdKNn-IJMFARn512KnW11An2-fRv1qYdYpRe2Rbqid_tTnCUHV-VXhnM3PvamiqLIaDd9R8NSASyuqMQbp8x0rCodfHWT5FPOvPOSq2qkDEtmNCv4nwoYdvwTLOVNR-OWn9Ob3KgNQUUUOG5wtfnG0K6YepD_uYws-D4zORW6R9_uq0i4v1Ys-XlYW2ad8l8qH8HJja3EZ5-Zh02r1lBZWznUX8pfkDIKxqUDKR9Ss7Y7UhQ4KSBWBJQ0cwoKY3aWMStMzNDJ9IXPkPbeCaE6PM6_DLgBusMcAaHUDvhviwMeieLl96dm0HXgHkWd2POsJse5trXV_YBeVeAs0836k0QyrtUeBae-Mc8tUdoqIP_xg3QWJEVAnebX8kWZTdi3Ujoo9DwRSf750oPU-isZFVWAUeYbrrM77UM7ZjaJsEN5wIGtWfSrRQBlAVccr1fWDiZMfWbjvrx4-2t_LgdruELZCLBwz9O43Zb7xu-9pK-4ps3X3YQg5Yt8O_LDjZkkK-nEQBGaPdGlfg_Jen--w32-Aqswbxfmd8CJWipViBqmhTEAdEcZ-4fD9V=w851-h638-no

zrQgV_RE1J4aF8qoss9S1BWAUyEfnAZfCwwv-SeW6v4JolSW4LThwrDC4rxMJGZKuOhDiS_cqM7h7ff-T7COjvOuJaga4uSM85BgEgXFknsA_mEvbwPUeqcJCM_95yuNw3RH5iaqW7fv6CJfzPeXKDydzIblE74Spp7SGppcfrBmQbDU9tuZgrGOfp-0BpODKAOOeoRLPgOqOnRrc_8COF_o4RTRA7LET8RYjleHJkt6ZNGtFrH7KaLkWiUPZLgN1zBDRVVpE8quKH7JDBLvZwPYUBuErcWuO3x6uO0Y6OYmlEPdZ8zYO3wxSGrrVerjt7Go7tKRtLoypwsPhfHcPrZYFiRXWf1uXklAzNphyR67Se8Hdm6xskatJjzOhoE0WAU469bDG9RhRGOTK_SRrrOWCstrULPsBUKZHsCmwPojuVL76x3pBngHclbfwVW9ZxG_xe9TXFSaeeu099IaHQFkP-CaYs-aET-8A0sbKFJ4OjP4nL_Zc2Swa2tPIXW2n_0qao6TwCozLnOrG94gjS7j2Jl13KKwXo8kouiTuc5QQ_uYOaP590k_snEJ79B7zD9nhTwmWUCYLUFd3Jjj2k6Ri584sULh2L4uimvIBLagn51SHwLe=w479-h638-no

Poor thing! Tape her toes in the proper position and then take some tape and tape her legs where you want them to be, wrapping the tape around her legs. Make sure she has easy access to food and drink and watch to be sure the others don't pick in her. Good luck!

Thanks! Would vet wrap work? I don't want the tape to stick to her skin. And I read it's okay to give them yogurt? I'm just trying to think of something high in calories that I can measure to make sure she's eating enough. Or should I make a mash with starter instead?

Here is some helpful advice -
Chick Shoes for Twisted or Curled Toes
  • CAUTION: A chick wearing Chick Shoes can easily drown if it stumbles near a water container. See "Prevent Drowning in Water Dish"section.
  • Use for splinting and correcting Twisted Toes, or sometimes to help with Curled Toes. (With Twisted Toes, an adult or chick walks on sides of twisted toes. With Curled Toes, a chick walks on tops of curled toes.)
  • Cut out a small, flat triangle a little larger than the size that the chick's foot should be when toes are spread. Position each toe correctly and then use a small piece of sports tape to tape the toe to the cardboard.
  • A different type of chick shoe splint can be made from pipe cleaners (or flower arranging wire and thin padding, for older chickens).
  • If treating young chick: Important to put on new shoe at least every 1-3 days while feet growing fast.The chick will likely need to wear the shoes a total of 4 days to 2 weeks, depending on the severity of the problem
    • Make sure shoe size increased regularly so foot doesn't outgrow shoe. Toe Taping (See below) may be better for treating some problems.
    • Notice and correct sooner if chick wiggles toe into wrong position, before deformities are caused.
  • If treating older bird: You may want to treat moderately twisted toes if causing problems. Do not try to correct long-term, severely twisted toes. Bones, muscles & ligaments are mature & may not be able to be reshaped, or will change more slowly.
    • Aim for gradual reshaping.
    • Check regularly that there isn't too much debris sticking to shoe, & that toes haven't slipped loose.
    • Change the shoe at least every 4-7 days.The bird may need to wear the shoes and/or have its toes taped (See below) for 2-5 weeks.
  • *Be extra sure to follow Special Note on Removing Tape from Legs, Feet & Toes instructions.

FROM THIS LINK:https://sites.google.com/a/poultrypedia.com/poultrypedia/poultry-podiatry

This part may also be relevant to your issue:
Increase Riboflavin for Curled Toes
  • In Curled Toe Paralysis (also called Curly Toes), chick walks on tops of curled toes & toenails (vs. Twisted Toes, in which young or old bird walks on sides of twisted toes). Chick will become unable to stand, and often rest or try to walk on hocks to relieve pain of toes.

• Caused by Riboflavin (Vitamin B12) deficiency.
    • If caused by chick diet (feed that is out-of-date, formulated poorly, or not formulated specifically for chicks), toes start curling within 1-2 weeks.
    • If caused by diet of mother hen (such as solely Layer Feed--without access to Riboflavin-rich foods such as certain greens, etc.), toes start curling within a couple days of birth.
  • IMMEDIATELY increase Riboflavin in chick's diet. Give supplement or multi-vitamin drink with high Riboflavin (Vitamin B12), or Riboflavin-rich foods such as paprika, dried coriander, spearmint, parsley, ground almonds or sesame seeds (you can grind these with a hammer), dry roasted soy (NOT fresh soy), Romano or Swiss cheese, some types of fish (Mackerel, Atlantic Salmon, Trout), etc.
    • If treatment started within couple days of chick being unable to stand, toes will straighten within a few days usually.
    • If treatment started later, toes may not recover & bird may need to be put down or die within 3-4 weeks.
    • Chick Shoes (see below) might also help.

Thanks that's really helpful. I think I will try boots and increasing B12 first to see if they make any difference.

Back
Top Bottom