Baby chick!!

Alina28

Songster
Dec 28, 2017
I got this little white leghorn chick from a relative who got it from someone else. He is very active but I noticed a big ball of poop stuck to him. I removed it but I am worried that something might be wrong with him. If it is the case what should I do?? Please give some advice .(pics below)

Attachments

• IMG_20180403_212117.jpg
    IMG_20180403_212117.jpg
    302.5 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_20180403_212140_1.jpg
    IMG_20180403_212140_1.jpg
    189 KB · Views: 21
Hello! I'm a little worried too. It's good that you got rid of the ball of poop, but it's not good that he isn't appearing to be doing well. Let me just let you know for the future: be careful of where you get your chicks, especially from a "friend of a friend". Just my experience. Now onto the chick. I suppose giving him some chick electrolytes for a few days and seeing how well that goes. Other than that, maybe someone else could give you better info. Good luck!

How old is the chick? Normally they outgrow it after a week or so. Just keep up with it, that it doesn’t get bad by washing with warm water and drying off. Make sure not a lot of temp fluctuations in the brooder, I’ve noticed pasty butt is very common from store bought chicks. I have two batches of home egg hatches (a dozen of each) that never got them but have a few occasions with some chicks I bought after taking them home.

Thanks for the advice!! I don't know the chick's age but he is definitely older than a week. I got to know that he was not being given any proper food just left overs so maybe it's just indigestion or something. Anyway I will try to give him homemade chick electrolytes. He is also very lonely and makes a lot of noise as I don't have any other chick right now .

Thanks for the advice!! I don't know the chick's age but he is definitely older than a week. I got to know that he was not being given any proper food just left overs so maybe it's just indigestion or something. Anyway I will try to give him homemade chick electrolytes. He is also very lonely and makes a lot of noise as I don't have any other chick right now .
It would be a very good idea to get him a friend. Now would be the time to introduce someone new to him or her. Make sure the chicks have access to grit, this can be as simple as a chunk of short grass attached to its roots and soil from your yard. Chick grit is available from your farm store, along with other chicks :D while you are there. Keep an eye on his pooping and make sure that his vent is clear and that there is no swelling.

Thanks for the advice everyone. He is a very moody chick and refuses to eat grains and chick food however he loves eating boiled rice and little bugs.
Now what should I feed him

I'm not sure what it's called but when chick hatches or has umbilical chord connected to it.sometimes when it disconnects it leaves little piece hanging from chicks butt.the poop gets stuck on it and builds up.You just have to keep cleaning chicks butt until piece of umbilical chord dries up and falls off.usually takes about a week.

Maybe you are right. I will just watch over him for a few days and let's see what happens.
Will keep posting updates.

Back
Top Bottom