baby Chicken with something wrong

Rugger

In the Brooder
7 Years
Oct 9, 2012
Hey guys i literaly just got this chick,and it has a maijor problem. The chick has terrible balance and falls over all the time and the other chickens hate it. It keeps rolling into the water and running up onto suff and not stoping it leans on other chicks. Help please this is urgent and im not sure if he can survive the night in this shape.

Is the head down, running backwards into stuff? If so, that's a sure sign of something called "crazy chick" - from what I've read that can be treated with careful vitamin supplementation. If not, then you may be looking at something else entirely and a call to your vet would definitely be warranted if no one else here can help you figure out what's going on.

I hope you get your little guy (or gal) squared away and healthy again!
fl.gif

he does run backwards at points is this contagiouse and what is agood supplement to use?

As far as I've read here and in a few books I got to help me get somewhat at ease with raising chickens (this is my first flock ever), this isn't contagious, it's a vitamin deficiency - I think I saw here that some were using a mixture of safflower oil (Vitamin E) and PolyViSol given via spoon, maybe 2 times a day. I'll see if I can find the thread name and help you out.

Okay it's in this forum (Raising Baby Chicks) titled "Vitamin E Deficiency and Crazy Chick Disease - photos added" but you can search "crazy chick" and it's the second link listed. There's photos and even a YouTube video posted there to help you decide if this is, in fact, what you're dealing with. Good Luck!

Back
Top Bottom