baby chicks and Mycoplasma

orpfun

In the Brooder
Aug 30, 2018
I'm wondering if anyone knows how soon baby chicks would show signs (sneezing gasping etc) of mg if the egg was Infected with it from the parents. I've searched and found conflicting information.
could they show signs at 2 days? or does it take longer to see the signs? thanks

I'm wondering if anyone knows how soon baby chicks would show signs (sneezing gasping etc) of mg if the egg was Infected with it from the parents. I've searched and found conflicting information.
could they show signs at 2 days? or does it take longer to see the signs? thanks
I looked at your other thread to see if you posted about symptoms, but I don't see that.
What symptoms are you seeing?

Incubation period varies - my understanding is 4 days to 3 weeks - but I would think those are averages. Could a chick show symptoms in less than 4 days? They might, could the incubation period be longer than 3 weeks - probably.

I looked at your other thread to see if you posted about symptoms, but I don't see that.
What symptoms are you seeing?

Incubation period varies - my understanding is 4 days to 3 weeks - but I would think those are averages. Could a chick show symptoms in less than 4 days? They might, could the incubation period be longer than 3 weeks - probably.
gasping breath..occasional little sneeze.but they are only 2 days old so wondering if mg came in the egg or something else? The incubation period for IB is short so could be that?

You never got testing to figure out what your flock has?

I would make sure the brooder temps are good and they are not overheated, that there is good ventilation and that bedding is clean/dry. If you are using pine shavings, switch those out the puppy pads or paper towels to see if the sneezing stops.

IB does have a shorter incubation period, but it would be very hard to know if that's what's wrong with the chicks. There's so many things that can affect chickens, without testing it's a shot in the dark. It's not unusual for more than one respiratory disease to be present at the same time.

You never got testing to figure out what your flock has?

I would make sure the brooder temps are good and they are not overheated, that there is good ventilation and that bedding is clean/dry. If you are using pine shavings, switch those out the puppy pads or paper towels to see if the sneezing stops.

IB does have a shorter incubation period, but it would be very hard to know if that's what's wrong with the chicks. There's so many things that can affect chickens, without testing it's a shot in the dark. It's not unusual for more than one respiratory disease to be present at the same time.
Yes..we got testing done. They had.mg...and we culled whole flock. Our farm was empty of birds for 2.monthes. disinfected and scrubbed everything. So these are all new chicksnhatched with purchased eggs. Devastating to see something like this come up again. But how could it?

So that is why i asked if the eggs came with mg how soon would symptoms develope ..only other possibility is something fast was brought home from feed store? Ugg.

Yes..we got testing done. They had.mg...and we culled whole flock. Our farm was empty of birds for 2.monthes. disinfected and scrubbed everything. So these are all new chicksnhatched with purchased eggs. Devastating to see something like this come up again. But how could it?

I'm so sorry.
Can you take a video of the chicks?

Did you ever hatch out eggs from your culled flock in your incubator?

I'm so sorry.
Can you take a video of the chicks?

Did you ever hatch out eggs from your culled flock in your incubator?
yes hatched out eggs but that was last year in incubator. These eggs were purchased eggs.
I'm at work right now. And I moved chicks up to barn in a make shift chick room yesterday evening. I'll try to get a video later

Back
Top Bottom