Baby chicks fighting.

ChickBro

Chirping
Feb 8, 2021
Hartshorne, OK
About 8 weeks ago I hatched out two chicks. I got up today to let them out of the pin, and then about 5 minutes later both of them puffed up and ran at each other and started pecking each other on the beak.I have never seen this before so I don't know what to think. Can anyone explain to me what is going on?

@azygous

Ok, I will put their pictures below. If they are both cockerels why would they be fighting at such an early age?

P.S. The date that the picture says is wrong.

006.JPG
008.JPG

Thanks for the pics. The color of the combs isn't conclusive for my judgement of possible gender.

Chicks play fight all the time. They aren't doing anything serious when they bump each other and flutter their wings.

At this age they need to be outdoors in a big space so they can run around, take short flights, and flex their wings. Is that a run they were phtographed in? They should also be living in a coop by now. Do you have an adult flock or just these two?

Thanks for the pics. The color of the combs isn't conclusive for my judgement of possible gender.

Chicks play fight all the time. They aren't doing anything serious when they bump each other and flutter their wings.

At this age they need to be outdoors in a big space so they can run around, take short flights, and flex their wings. Is that a run they were phtographed in? They should also be living in a coop by now. Do you have an adult flock or just these two?
I do have an adult flock, and the picture was taken in the coop. They have been living in a smaller pin that is in the coop. Do you think I can let them out with the adult flock? And if I can would the rooster kill the cockerel?

Unless your rooster is psychotic, which occasionally you will see, no, roosters generally treat chicks decently.

You will need to make sure the chicks continue to get enough to eat and aren't bullied away from the feeder. I have a shelf around three feet high that I put food and water on and the chicks hop up there to eat. Also, perches in the run will be safe retreats if the chicks start getting bullied.

At eight weeks, they are capable of taking care of themselves with the adults.

Unless your rooster is psychotic, which occasionally you will see, no, roosters generally treat chicks decently.

You will need to make sure the chicks continue to get enough to eat and aren't bullied away from the feeder. I have a shelf around three feet high that I put food and water on and the chicks hop up there to eat. Also, perches in the run will be safe retreats if the chicks start getting bullied.

At eight weeks, they are capable of taking care of themselves with the adults.
Thank You :).

Back
Top Bottom