Baby Chicks lost in the mail

Brznwench

In the Brooder
5 Years
Feb 25, 2014
Salisbury Mills, NY
I am sick to my stomach this morning. I ordered 6 chicks from Efowl that were shipped wednesday, 2 day priority mail. They did not arrive yesterday as scheduled and I just talked to my post office, they did not arrive on the morning truck today either. Last update was 8am yesterday in Detroit. I am in NY. Odds that they will survive to day 5 which will be Monday? Not good.

Last edited:
Why would they even ship with the high temperatures everywhere !!! It's over 100 here and I'm in Canada !!!

I am sick to my stomach this morning.  I ordered 6 chicks from Efowl that were shipped wednesday, 2 day priority mail.  They did not arrive yesterday as scheduled and I just talked to my post office, they did not arrive on the morning truck today either.  Last update was 8am yesterday in Detroit.  I am in NY.   Odds that they will survive to day 5 which will be Monday?  Not good.

That happened to someone else a while ago with ducklings... see if your post office will call the last scanned one, or get their number and call them... get them looking for them and they might be able to track them down... then they'll need permission to open and check on them, give water etc...

I completely know the feeling of helplessness and worry. I went through what you're going through just two weeks ago. These scannings do little to let customers know where their package is, by the way. I had the good fortune of having a friend involved who has worked in the government remote viewing program, and she assured me the chicks were in the normal process of moving to place to place and all was well. And that's how it turned out eventually.

I can only offer a little hope and encouragement. I talked to all sorts of postal employees during my quest to locate my chicks. Most were very sensitive to baby chick needs, and one supervisor, after making the long trek out to the loading docks to search for my chicks, pointed out a table they have set up in back with a heat lamp for baby chicks that are over-nighting. They do and will open the crate and administer to the chicks if needed. It's very rare that you get a stupid and ignorant or uncaring worker ignoring the chicks' frantic peeping.

Bottom line, though, if worse comes to worst, the hatchery will replace and reship your order, and withing 48 hours, depending on policy, if any chicks sicken or die, they will be replaced or credit refunded.

I am keeping my fingers crossed that they just weren't shipped when they should have been. Our mail sometimes comes on Sunday, if its a next-day delivery or 2nd day. Good luck!

I ordered from MPC a few years ago, for some reason they sent them to South Carolina instead of Wisconsin, they found someone there to take them, and sent me a new batch the following week, so it happens, they don't always read the tag correctly, hopefully someone will intervene, unless they added the energy gel to the box I don't think they can survive that long, sorry, it would be nice if you could get a hold of somebody, but it's the weekend, good luck.

Sadly, they still have not arrived and now, 5 days after they were shipped I feel so bad for the little feezers. Efowl has issued a refund. I will wait until the spring. Who knows why they never left Michigan. :(

I feel so bad for you. I had the same thing happen to me in March. Ideal shipped my babies on March 3rd. The storm caused Fed Ex to ground planes. By Friday my chicks had not arrived. I picked up 8 babies at our feed store. The next morning, the PO called with my chick order. Believe it or not, 14/20 survived. Extreme heat & cold r so tough on babies. I'm really sorry.

What is the max temp it is safe to order? I ask because I am wanting to order some eggs to hatch. If anyone has recommendations on where to order from, please PM me.

It would be risky to order hatching eggs for shipment this time of year, as they'll most likely begin to develop in transit at sub-optimal incubation temperatures. Prior to incubation, hatching eggs should ideally be at temperatures of 55 to 65 degrees. Embryos will start to develop at temperatures of 75 degrees and greater.

If you're not particular about breeds, you might want to try to pick up some local eggs, especially if you're in a rural area or have access to a farmer's market. This spring I bought local eggs ($2.00 a dozen) and my broody hen hatched out 6 healthy, barnyard mix chicks from them. With local eggs, you also don't have to worry about low hatch rates due to damaged air cells, which often results from shipping.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom