Baby chicks pecking in the brooder

I agree, the brooder is too small for them, they need more space to run, play, escape each other, etc. They grow super fast! If you do have the coop ready and no other chickens, they can go in the coop with the heat lamp or heating pad whichever you choose.
I use a 118gal. stock tank for my chicken brooder and I normal buy 5-8 chicks at a time for this area.

I didn't even think about size, what I did that was really cheap and easy was take some large cardboard boxes and cut little "doorways" in them, tape the boxes together, and give them a bigger space.

The brooder is way too small for that many chicks at that age. They need MORE SPACE!!
Do you have any other chickens?
Do you have their adult coop and run built already?
If so, what size is it?
20200929_200345.jpg

I agree, the brooder is too small for them, they need more space to run, play, escape each other, etc. They grow super fast! If you do have the coop ready and no other chickens, they can go in the coop with the heat lamp or heating pad whichever you choose.
I use a 118gal. stock tank for my chicken brooder and I normal buy 5-8 chicks at a time for this area.
Got it! Yes we have a 6x5 ft chicken tractor built and no chickens in it. We have a heating lamp, so at two and a half weeks old is ok, for them to be outside in texas??

Got it! Yes we have a 6x5 ft chicken tractor built and no chickens in it. We have a heating lamp, so at two and a half weeks old is ok, for them to be outside in texas??
I am not an expert at tractor coops. I think they would have more room and fun! The pecking should also stop since they will have more things to do.

I added
some broccoli florets hanging from a thread, like little piñatas haha to see if that helps with boredom. They like them. But still pecking 😪
Sounds like you got good advice on giving them more space, but if you’re giving them food other than chick feed (like broccoli) make sure they also have access to chick grit! Your babies are cute!

Thank you all, we still want to wait 1 more week before taking them outside, it suppose to be raining, so after reading your advise,
20200929_232128.jpg
we made another brooder so they wont be as tight in one. Hope this help at least until the rain is gone.

Back
Top Bottom