Baby duck injury

TSW99

Chirping
5 Years
Sep 7, 2014
Tallahassee Fl
Please help my baby duck has a head injury I dont know what caused it but when I noticed it it had a yellow film/scab on it today when I checked on it I looks bigger and has a bump on the side I have been putting hydrogen peroxide and neosporin on it no improvement

Do you think your chickens may have ganged up on it? looks like a wound, use peroxide only once if you keep using it it will damage new skin. Neo is good and there are other wound care products too, Veterycin is one, Keep the duckling away from any other flock members who maybe drawn to an open wound chickens are the worst. Blue Kote will help disguise the wound and help heal too. Also keep the duckling where flies can't get to it if you live where flies are still out. Maggots are a death sentence. Be sure not to use anything with pain relief in it. unless prescribed by a vet. Keep us updated on how the lil one is doing.

Okay he will be removed for now
the only thing I can think of is one of the older hens could have pecked him through the wire ?

Okay he will be removed for now
the only thing I can think of is one of the older hens could have pecked him through the wire ?

Could have unless some how he came up underneath something and poked a hole in it's head. I know hens are notorious for pecking we had a member on the duck thread that had his hens kill quite a few of his ducklings and they were not just hatched. you might want to put a smaller guage wire[hardware cloth] between the hens and ducklings. let us know how it is.

The duckling is getting better The injury is starting to look better too sorry I forgot to update.
I will try to get another pic tomorrow
another question I thought of, will he eventually regrow feathers were the injury is?

Last edited:
The duckling is getting better The injury is starting to look better too sorry I forgot to update.
I will try to get another pic tomorrow
another question I thought of, will he eventually regrow feathers were the injury is?
Yes he will and since young and still growing feathers it should cover over nicely. So glad to hear it's doing well.

Back
Top Bottom