Baby Jackdaw found! Help

Rynn

In the Brooder
10 Years
Aug 17, 2009
Hi Everyone!

Two days ago my dog found a baby jackdaw in our unused fireplace in one of our outbuildings. It was unharmed but had a ride around the garden in my dogs mouth till i realised what was happening and got him to drop it.

for the last two days it has been sat in a little box with straw in the fireplace incase mummy came back.

I sought advise from the RSPB forum and a guy there told me to leave it alone and put it back where i found it. in fact he was quite rude and treated me like i was going around taking birds away from their nests just to hand rear! ( I should of come here for advice first - lesson learnt!)

Anyway It been there on his advice for two days and yesterday I heard him calling as normal and then another bird calling back! I went to look and there was his twin sat next to him in the nest I made and both chicks calling together.

I really don't want these chicks to starve to death as this is the only advice I have been getting from MR KNOW-IT-ALL he gave me the nature is cruel at times speech.

They are both very large birds and have more adult feathers and are bigger than my 6week old silkie chicks.

I gave them some mashed up chick feed mixed with water just to tie them over till I can get some decent advice on what to do for the best!

Im sure I'll get lots of it here

Regards

Rynn

Your best bet is to try to find a wildlife rehabilitator in your area. Try googling for it. If you were in North Texas I'd know just where to direct you...

What is a jackdaw? I'm going to have to google them.

I would suggest leaving feed but leaving them alone. Mamas probably coming when your not looking.

Here is a photo of the Baby Jackdaws, which are a member of the crow family, They have some cat food around their mouths as I could not stand the chirping any longer. I have now moved them outside to a safe location so if mum is about she will be able to find them better - but i have not seen any adult birds on top the chimney for a while now, so fingers crossed
fl.gif

39262_100_1563.jpg

Seriously, please try to find a wildlife rehabber in your area. You have no idea whether the food you're offering is appropriate for this species.

Copied from Wikipedia...

Feeding

The jackdaw forages in open areas and on the ground, but does take some food in trees.[15] Garbage tips, bins, urban streets and gardens are also visited, more often early in the morning when there are fewer people about.[15] Jackdaws employ various feeding methods, such as jumping, pecking, clod-turning and scattering, probing the soil, and rarely digging. Flies around cow pats are caught by jumping from the ground or at times by dropping vertically from a few metres above onto the cow pat. Earthworms are not usually extracted from the ground by jackdaws but are eaten from freshly ploughed soil.[28]

In terms of animal food, jackdaws tend to feed upon small invertebrates found above ground between 2 and 18 mm in length, including imagines, larvae and pupae of Curculionidae, Coleoptera, Diptera and Lepidoptera. Snails, spiders and some other insects also make up part of their animal diet. The jackdaw will also eat small rodents, eggs, chicks. Jackdaws will feed on carrion, such as roadkill. The vegetable diet of jackdaws consists of farm grains (barley, wheat and oats), seeds of weeds, elderberries, acorns and various cultivated fruits.[28]​

The babies look fully feathered, which means they were probably fledged already-old enough to leave the nest. My advice is to put them back where you found them, and Mom should come soon to guide her babies. Good luck

Any news?

We have a lot of wildlife rehabs here in Ohio. This year our dog "found" baby bunnies. He nearly ripped one of their heads off:/ The rehab told me to put them back where they were, keep the dog away and their Mama would come back. The Mama would move them if she thought the nest was too disturbed. Obviously it wasn't because they stuck around and grew and grew for nearly 2 weeks more. It was really awesome!
big_smile.png

All that to say, I'd put them back.

as a general rule any baby wildlfe should be left alone of course and if disturbed it should be put back and left alone so mom can do her job- that being said I have raised a crow before and fed it on soaked cat food and smuched crickets untill he was big enough to be taken out and let go ( of course this caused a huge problem in my neighborhood at the time as he wasnt part of the "local crows" and much noise was being made untill I drove him out to a park in the countryside-) I had taken him away form some kids at a field behind my high school- they refused to tell me were they found him and I spent hours walking the area looking for crows or any sign of a nest. since then I have been part of and founder of several rehab groups and rescues-( domestic rescues)- so even though the usual response to " i found this baby something or other" is "LEAVE IT BE!!" there are times when you can and (morally? ) ought to help- nature is cruel at times- but as sentient being able to help- is it wrong to do so? if for no other reason than to spare some creature pain or suffering?.............heh, now that im done with my rant!
tongue.png
....I have lived the past few years in a VERY "redneck/southern" very small town ( no, im not saying there is anything wrong with being a proud redneck or southern individual) where Ive been afronted with some very nasty and intolerant ppl calling me a " dirty yankee and GD treehugger" ..just because I will generally side with the animals over the people.......the animals are more fun ayway!!

Back
Top Bottom