1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Baby Muscovy feather plucked and limping...

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by NDgoatgirlNV, Nov 9, 2015.

1. NDgoatgirlNV

NDgoatgirlNV Chillin' With My Peeps

I had to isolate my 2 month old Muscovy Drake because the chickens in the coop have been harassing him relentlessly... They've plucked his back feathers out and he is limping and not baring much weight on his right leg. I've got him in a large tote with chicken wire over the top to keep him from escaping and a red heat lamp to help keep him warm...any suggestions on helping him get back on his feet would be highly appreciated![​IMG]

2. Jesusfreak101

Jesusfreak101 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2015
    Texas
    My Coop
    Can he get out of the heated area?

3. NDgoatgirlNV

Yes, its about a 4ft long storage tub, and the lamp is only angled at one corner. It's been dropping down into the 30's here in the desert at night lately.

4. Jesusfreak101

Sep 2, 2015
    Texas
    My Coop
    Just wanted to make sure poor guy i imagine he going to need lots of tlc. His leg maybe sprained but do you feel anything odd like a break or dislocation?

5. NDgoatgirlNV

No, it seems totally normal...

6. Jesusfreak101

Sep 2, 2015
    Texas
    My Coop
    Ok then he probably just need to rest it. Look at the bottom of his feet just to check for bumblefoot. His feathers will grow back it just take some time.

7. NDgoatgirlNV

Ugh, I just noticed this morning my other duckling Deiter is getting plucked and picked on the same way as her brother Sprocket....I think I'm just going to have to separate all the ducks away from the chickens....we have too many roosters and I think it may be time to cull them(the roos) and put them in the freezer.....I hate doing it, but oh well.

8. Jesusfreak101

Sep 2, 2015
    Texas
    My Coop
    Yeah and if you have hen the roosters are probably stressing them out with over mating.

9. NDgoatgirlNV

I have about 24 hens and 7 roosters....but we are only keeping 2 roosters and those 2 are sweethearts.

Here's the ducklings in their new isolation Pen. You can see how bare Sprocket's (white one) back is just above his tail.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. Jesusfreak101

Sep 2, 2015
    Texas
    My Coop
    Poor guy that looks painful.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by