baby pigeon found! need help

i did just now, he came the night trough and his crop is almost fully empty, so i offered him some seed but he didnt take it on his own, he just slapped and hissed at me lol, tried to force feed him again but hes way too mad at me, gonna ask someone to help me feed him after he has calmed down a tad
the poor lad is still very scared of me.. cant feed him like that since he just slaps and hisses at me, any advice? since the food cant go in the syringe as the hole is too small

When I raised a baby pigeon, who barely had pin feathers, I put the food in my closed hand, then the baby stuck his beak into my fist (circle of finger and thumb). But this baby looks older. Does it have the sides on the beak? If so, then the method I used would work. Also, better for the chick to not be scared. Good luck! For the record, I was able to release the bird when he could fly. He stuck around for a little while, attacking my ex (good bird! :lol:). Then he was gone.

When I raised a baby pigeon, who barely had pin feathers, I put the food in my closed hand, then the baby stuck his beak into my fist (circle of finger and thumb). But this baby looks older. Does it have the sides on the beak? If so, then the method I used would work. Also, better for the chick to not be scared. Good luck! For the record, I was able to release the bird when he could fly. He stuck around for a little while, attacking my ex (good bird! :lol:). Then he was gone.
i can try that! thank you! and hes still scared but im trying to be as gentle as possible with him! and LOL love that for u and the pigeon 🤣

he wont do the thing you said, so i think i’ll just keep force feeding him sunflower seeds lol

im feeding him some sunflower seeds, thats the only thing thats long enough so i can put it in his mouth, is that okay?
No, that’s not okay, sunflower seeds can be hard for a young pigeon to digest due to the large shell. They can get stuck in his crop.

I’ve had to force feed pigeons who didn’t like me, these were adult feral pigeons who were injured and not eating on their own. What I would do is hold them against me with one hand, making sure to keep their wings flat against their body so they couldn’t wriggle out of my grip. You can also wrap the bird in a towel if it makes this easier. Then, I moved my hand forward so my arm was keeping the pigeon in place and used one hand to open the beak and the other to put a de-shelled pea in the back of the beak. The good thing about peas is that they hydrate as well as provide nutrition, unlike sunflower seeds which are dry.

Also, make sure to leave some seeds and water with the pigeon once you’re done, it makes sense that he wouldn’t try to eat with you around. That’s why you have to leave some with him so he can try it when he’s alone.

No, that’s not okay, sunflower seeds can be hard for a young pigeon to digest due to the large shell. They can get stuck in his crop.

I’ve had to force feed pigeons who didn’t like me, these were adult feral pigeons who were injured and not eating on their own. What I would do is hold them against me with one hand, making sure to keep their wings flat against their body so they couldn’t wriggle out of my grip. You can also wrap the bird in a towel if it makes this easier. Then, I moved my hand forward so my arm was keeping the pigeon in place and used one hand to open the beak and the other to put a de-shelled pea in the back of the beak. The good thing about peas is that they hydrate as well as provide nutrition, unlike sunflower seeds which are dry.

Also, make sure to leave some seeds and water with the pigeon once you’re done, it makes sense that he wouldn’t try to eat with you around. That’s why you have to leave some with him so he can try it when he’s alone

Also, make sure to leave some seeds and water with the pigeon once you’re done, it makes sense that he wouldn’t try to eat with you around. That’s why you have to leave some with him so he can try it when he’s alone.
even the seed inside the sunflower seed? if that makes sense, bc thats all i can get him to eat right now, atm im defrosting some peas.
and i did! but he just sits in the bowl almost like a nest

even the seed inside the sunflower seed? if that makes sense, bc thats all i can get him to eat right now, atm im defrosting some peas.
and i did! but he just sits in the bowl almost like a nest
De-shelled sunflower seeds are okay. It’s completely fine if he won’t eat on his own yet, it’s just important for the choice to be available to him.

De-shelled sunflower seeds are okay. It’s completely fine if he won’t eat on his own yet, it’s just important for the choice to be available to him.
okay! i’ve fed him some mushed up peas but wasnt been able to feed him much trough a syringe sadly :( i think i might buy a bigger syringe tomorrow

i found something out, i cleaned him up today since he pooped all over himself in his little bowl and then i saw that on his thigh bone theres a wound, you can see his bone as the skin is very thin there, i put some honey cream on it, there is a little tissue built over it already but what else can i do?

Back
Top Bottom