Are there any other solutions that I can solve using human food? I can't afford anything else and I love my quail!
Boiled, crushed egg yolk may help. That will give more protein and some of the nutrients it needs, but a good balanced feed is what it really needs.

I hate to say this, but if you can't afford proper feed for your quail, you might consider rehoming it with someone who can take proper care of it. If this is just temporary, though, the egg yolk will probably get it by until you can get some proper feed.

Edit: Go easy on the mealworms if you decide to add those to the diet. They are high in protein, but they are also high in fat.

Boiled, crushed egg yolk may help. That will give more protein and some of the nutrients it needs, but a good balanced feed is what it really needs.

I hate to say this, but if you can't afford proper feed for your quail, you might consider rehoming it with someone who can take proper care of it. If this is just temporary, though, the egg yolk will probably get it by until you can get some proper feed.

Edit: Go easy on the mealworms if you decide to add those to the diet. They are high in protein, but they are also high in fat.
Ok. I'm definitely not rehoming them, I'll try boiled eggs yolks and some raspberries and mealworms. Thanks!

If you’re in the USA, have you used Chewy.com before? First time customers get $20 off $49 and free shipping. I bought a 50 pound bag of 30%protein game bird feed & a few other things. Their feed was $34. I added a few other things (save-a-chick & oyster shells) to get to the $49.

If you’re in the USA, have you used Chewy.com before? First time customers get $20 off $49 and free shipping. I bought a 50 pound bag of 30%protein game bird feed & a few other things. Their feed was $34. I added a few other things (save-a-chick & oyster shells) to get to the $49.
I'm from Australia so I haven't heard of this, but I've got the problem solved now. I've mixed grayed carrots and raspberries in with chick starter and mealworms for protein. All I don't know where to get is the grit and oyster shells. I've also mixed some budgie seeds in just in case.

Attachments

• PXL_20230528_213851755.jpg
    PXL_20230528_213851755.jpg
    280.3 KB · Views: 8
If you give them all the ingredients separated into different bowls they will balance their intake of each item to achieve the desired ratios of protein, amino acids, vitamins minerals ect.

If you have any egg shells then put them in the oven until they become brittle and crush them up, again providing them in a separate bowl. They’re a good alternative to oyster shell.

If you mix all the items you’ve listed it’ll be difficult for them to pick out the bits they need but with each item separated they’ll know what to do.

The more choice the better, dried seaweed and nettles are helpful additions and potentially free if you can find them locally.

Last edited:
If you give them all the ingredients separated into different bowls they will balance their intake of each item to achieve the desired ratios of protein, amino acids, vitamins ect.

If you have any egg shells then put them in the oven until they become brittle and crush them up, again providing them in a separate bowl.

If you mix all the items you’ve listed it’ll be difficult for them to pick out the bits they need but with each item separated they’ll know what to do.

The more choice the better.
Ok, I'll try that but I'm not sure how to do it. I've just got one big feeder though.

Ok, I'll try that but I'm not sure how to do it. I've just got one big feeder though.
I edited my post above to add a couple of things so maybe take another look.
I have long plastic trough feeders I’ve put dividers in but whatever works. You could put the commercial chick crumbs in the feeder and add jar lids or similar for the other ingredients to be separated between?
Make sure they have access to some high protein ingredients like egg, insects, alfalfa seeds, seaweed. If they don’t get enough they won’t do well.
In oz you should be able to collect loads of bugs for free with a white sheet and a torch.

Last edited:
I'm from Australia so I haven't heard of this, but I've got the problem solved now. I've mixed grayed carrots and raspberries in with chick starter and mealworms for protein. All I don't know where to get is the grit and oyster shells. I've also mixed some budgie seeds in just in case.
Aww well they look happy. I’ll research grit but I save all my eggs that we eat (chicken, duck, & quail), rinse & dry them, then smash them up to feed my quail for calcium. My first hatch of only 3, that turned out to be all female, started laying at 6 weeks when they only had eggshells & no oyster shells.

Back
Top Bottom