Baby Runner Duck 1 week pics

gig.gif
so cute
smile.png

Ok, it is all your fault! Your little ducky is so cute that I ordered 4 of them along with my chick order. The problem is, I don't know anything about ducks and how to take care of them. So, I figure you got me into this mess, you should help me get through it, pleeeeeeease
fl.gif
gig.gif

Ok, I was thinking of getting a couple runners a long time ago but it was your little guy who finally prompted me to push that button on the order form.
I know ducklings should be started in their own brooder. Do they have the same temp. requirements as chicks? Do they eat the same chick starter as the chicks or is there a duck starter? Do they need vitamins and can I use the chick vitamins I give my chicks? Anything else I need to know?
I think it is great that you show your kids in school the wonderful world of chickens and ducks. They didn't do that in schools when I was a kid. Of course back then everybody had chickens in their backyard:lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
Quote:
Ummmm Ummmmm Help? This is the first time I've hatched a baby duck. I did it just like a chick and then put it in a styrofoam cooler with a glass window and a 40 watt bulb for warmth. I used Chick starter, and the baby likes to play in his water. I'm hoping it's a her though,, but don't know how to tell until the tail feathers come in. Vitamins? I've never used them, I think a good balanced diet takes care of that, my ducks are really healthy. I'll post pics of mom and dad duck later in the week.
There are others on here a lot more knowledgable than me on this matter!!
Kate

Hi Kate, I found this information through google and thought I would pass it along. Can't wait for my little runners:weee
Gayle

Keep ducklings in a warm and safe environment. A plastic tote works great for the first few weeks. Use a heat lamp with a 40 to 100 watt bulb. Adjust the height and wattage according to your ducklings behavior. If they seem warm and settled, not huddling under the lamp, they are probably warm enough. If they are scattered out, away from the lamp, panting, etc. they are too warm. Common sense will tell you to lower the heat! Hay can be used if available for bedding. Never use newspaper or a smooth surface, as it could cause leg problems or a condition called "splay leg".
Make sure heat lamps are secured and the area is large enough for the ducklings to get closer if they are cold and further away if too warm.
Ducklings that sleep together in a clump are too cold, and can't sleep and have open mouths are too hot.
Feed game bird starter, chick starter , or a commercially prepared waterfowl starter for the first 4-6 weeks. NEVER feed medicated chick starter or poultry feed, as this is fatal to your ducklings. Use a plastic or galvanized feeder. Always provide clean, fresh drinking water. Use a shallow bowl to which you have added a few clean, small pebbles. This will prevent the ducklings from drowning. You can also put clean pebbles in a store bought waterer if it is too deep Ducks need to be able to submerge their heads to clear their sinuses. DO NOT let them swim unattended. They MUST be able to get out of the water quickly. Ducklings can and will drown if they get too wet or too cold.
The ducklings will eat on their own immediately. You can add a small amount of sugar in their water for the first couple of days to help them get off to a good start.
Learn that Ducklings should be fully feathered before allowing water for swimming. Depending on the type of duck, full feathers should be in place by 9-12 weeks of age.
Know that if you have other adult ducks in your pond/water source, be advised the older adult ducks can be fatal to your younger ducks. Older ducks can and will drown the younger ducks.

[edit] TipsAfter ducks are in the pond or water source, you may feed floating fish food or dog food in very small amounts as a treat. Switch their basic diet to a good quality unmedicated waterfowl or poultry ration, usually available at most feed stores.
Generally, ducks will eat more during autumn and winter months, than in spring and summer months.
As ducklings will eventually grow into full sized ducks, a large dog kennel should make a splendid pen for your waterfowl

[edit] WarningsNEVER let your ducklings swim unattended, as they will drown!
NEVER feed your ducklings medicated poultry feed!
Always have clean water near food source, as ducks cannot swallow food properly without water!
Ducklings IMPRINT on people immediately. They look to you as their Mom. Be prepared to teach and train them, and to care for them properly. My ducks and drakes still come to me at 6 months of age, when I "quack" for them!
Never get just one Duckling since their very social animals they need at least 1 companion.Its better If possible 3-4.

[edit] Things You'll NeedFeeder
Heavy and Shallow Water Dish
Hay or Bedding, clean towels, etc.(Do not use Cedar)
Heat Lamps

Wow Gayle thanks for all that info! I wishing yesterday that at least one of the other babies had made it out because this one has imprinted on me and when I leave it cries. It is in the same room with the chicks but doesn't seem to notice them at all. I took it outside for the first time yesterday, 10 days old! He's gotten so much taller!
His mom and daddy duck kind of looked at him like "What the heck are you?" He didnt' want anything to do with them and everywhere I walked he stuck to me like glue. His favorite pastime is still sitting in his water and pooping in his food.
He wanders around the office while I am in here then will sit on my foot in or my lap.
He snuggles with Captain Jack the cat who found out during the week is "she" not a "he".
I love my ducky!!!
K

Your welcome. I found lots of information when I googled "how to take care of ducklings".

His favorite pastime is still sitting in his water and pooping in his food.
lau.gif
gig.gif

I love my runner ducks they are so comical !!! I wasn't planning on hatching any of their eggs but it's sure hard after seeing what they "use" to look like...lol

Great pics !!

Julie:D

Back
Top Bottom