Bachelor rooster

kcan2

Free Ranging
Oct 18, 2019
MI
PhotoGrid_1567124989357.jpg 20190925_163659.jpg
Hello all,
I have always wanted chickens but in August one came from across the street to find me! Thanks to all of the helpful posts on this board, I was able to identify him as a porcelain d'uccle (rooster, I think?). Since buying him, I have been patting myself on the back for his improved looks, but I'm not sure if his healthiness is due to his improved diet/being away from the bigger bully chickens) or if he was just still growing after all (neighbor told me he was hatched in May of this year). So far he is the only chicken I have. Is it ok to wait until spring to get him some "friends" his size? He is out of the weather and gets lots of treats and people attention! Thanks for any input on chicken bachelordom! :)

Last edited:
I have 3 chickens, 2 ducks and 5 geese. The chickens seem a bit more independent. While the waterfowl are virtually always together, the chickens seem content to be pecking and scratching on their own much of the time, but do hang out together at other times. At night, they tend to sit close together on the roost.
If you do get any more, there's lots of good youtubes and other info out there on introducing adult chickens to each other.

-byc-rooster-hill.gif

hithere.gif
Do you have a secure coop and run to keep a flock of chickens safe? Your guy will be fine alone until you decide to get him some friends later. But be aware that his attitude may change quite a bit once he meets some girls. If you're not interested in eggs, people have been successful in keeping just a flock of roosters. Congrats on having such a healthy beautiful boy!

Back
Top Bottom