Back plucked and bloody... What should I do? *pic*

FowlWthrFriend

In the Brooder
8 Years
Mar 14, 2011
Phoenix
So I just went out to the coop to gather eggs again and noticed my 22 wk Americauna hanging around inside. Thought it odd but didn't notice anything unusual until I peeked back inside and saw she was missing feathers on about a 2" square patch just above her tailfeathers, and it was all bloody. I shut the poor thing into the coop while her flockmates are outside.

82597_ameraucanaback.jpg

I'm just at a loss for what to do. I've always meant to get a first aid kit together but have been busy.
sad.png
They are all fed Purina Layena feed and we keep the feeder full at all times. The run is sand and we try to let them free range for at least an hour or so in the evenings (can't let them out unsupervised yet since our fence is not yet complete). So I wouldn't think it's a nutritional problem. They've been laying nice-shelled small eggs for about a week and a half now.

I'm guessing she's the bottom of the pecking order since I always see her foraging alone and not with the others. This is the first time I've seen any aggression though--it seems really acute. Stinks too because I always thought her the most beautiful--like a golden eagle.

Anyway, I'd appreciate any suggestions on treatment and your thoughts on further prevention. I've done nothing yet but separate her. I've tried to search through threads myself but I've not had much luck (and less time). Thanks in advance to all your comments!

Pronto: Cleanse the wound with 9 parts water, 1 part betadine. Then apply neosporin to the wound. Repeat in the coming days. Keep her in a calm safe place until healed or they'll likely peck at the wound and hurt her further.
If she seems shocky, spritz some Gatorade or Pedialtye on watermelon or other tasty treat - the electrolytes will help her.
If you have Rescue Remedy put a drop or two in her water for its calming effects.
Pampering - she's feeling lowly and hurts
sad.png

JJ

Well I would put some ointment on it maybe, keep her separate, put electrolytes in her water, perhaps you could get some antibiotics for her, and for prevention I would try and give them something to do, so they don’t get bored which may be why they picked on her so much, or you could buy a hen saver for her, that may help.

Definitely keep her away from the gang. Once they see red, they will keep pecking. How awful, poor baby. It really stinks for the poor chicken at the bottom of the pecking order. My favorite chicken is the picked on one, and maybe that is why I like her best. Too bad they cannot learn to share and play nice! I hope your little dear heals up, and I think the apron suggestion is a very good one. That is what I love about this site, so many good suggestions to us that are new to chickens.

Thanks everyone for your helpful comments! Got her all washed and cleaned up yesterday with some neosporin too. Her back has a nice scab now and she's doing great--eating,drinking and enjoying all the extra treats.
smile.png
She'll probably stay in the living room for a week or so until I'm sure she's healed well. I read somewhere about covering the bald patch with duct tape stuck to the other feathers to allow the new ones to come in. Anyway, I'll make a trip out to the farm store today for more medical/ emergency supplies. Thanks so much for taking the time to post and help a panicked newbie. My chicken and I owe you one!

Back
Top Bottom