Back With The Flock??

CannedMonster

Free Ranging
5 Years
Nov 26, 2017
Southwest Idaho
My 5.5 month old pullet Agatha has a significant injury that is now healing well.
The wound is on her side between the keel and right leg.
She’s a Naked Neck so she has mostly bare skin in this area.
The injury is about 2-3 inches in diameter.
It’s scabbing up pretty well.
I spray it with Veterycin twice daily.

My question is: should I put her back with the flock yet?
She has been isolated in a dog crate for a week and I carry her and put her on the roost with the others at bedtime and put her back in the crate in the morning.
Several flock members including my cockerel come up on the deck and lay down and visit her during the day.
But she is very frustrated with being confined.
Her injury is in a good location because the other birds can’t see it and flies can’t get to it.
As I said above, it’s scabbing over well.
She’s definitely not completely healed yet though.
The cockerel will breed her but given the location of the wound I don’t think he’d hurt her.
What do you think?

You could try a test run. Give her an hour or so back with them before bedtime. It will give you a chance to see how things go.

Agree... I had my alpha, "top of the pecking order" Brahma with a nasty foot cut few weeks ago, she wasn't too happy being in the crate all day. after 2 days, I let her free range with the flock and just made the wound re-open. My point is I guess, it's probably more about the downtime she needs to heal vs the risk of getting re-injured by the flock.

Back
Top Bottom