Bad Boy, Good Outlook

WallyBirdie

Crowing
Aug 2, 2019
Meet Adam.
20190906_230910.jpg

Adam is a Blue Laced Red Wyandotte. Between personality and coloring, he garnered a lot of love. My first Wyandotte... and he grew so big, so fast. I belatedly learned this to be normal, but watching him grow was awe-inspiring.

But as he grew, so did his attitude. He began to ruffle his feathers and stomp around. He bit me once and he became somewhat of a terror to a couple of the pullets.

20190703_094528.jpg

Looking for a solution, I was told to eat him. I was told to re-home him. But he wormed his way into my heart and he is here to stay.

I kept watch over the birds and their interactions. I started to intervene. Whenever he got too haughty, I picked him up and carried him around until he settled and agreed that I was boss, then I put him down. If he persisted, I 'pecked' him with my fingers. When he was at his worst, he went in time out... via crate. A few hours in there, then back with the flock.

He's been a near perfect gentleman since. I can freely handle him. My girls are calm and unharmed. And the crate is still handy in case he acts up again.

Adam isn't going anywhere. He grows more handsome every day. His crowing makes me laugh because it's a new sound and he stutters his way through, but it's getting better.

I love this boy! Hard to believe he's only 4 months old.

20190906_195436.jpg

20190907_131755.jpg

Last edited:
well just remember them hormones kick in you may be showing him whose boss more often, glad he's behaving. my one questionable rooster settled down when I got rid of the other one
I'm not expecting miracle behavior, but I am going to keep an eye on things. Next spring/summer, I'll be expanding the run and possibly building an addition onto the coop as well. If I need to work something out, I'll do my best then. For now, he seems settled.

Meet Adam.
View attachment 1901069

Adam is a Blue Laced Red Wyandotte. Between personality and coloring, he garnered a lot of love. My first Wyandotte... and he grew so big, so fast. I belatedly learned this to be normal, but watching him grow was awe-inspiring.

But as he grew, so did his attitude. He began to ruffle his feathers and stomp around. He bit me once and he became somewhat of a terror to a couple of the pullets.

View attachment 1901092

Looking for a solution, I was told to eat him. I was told to re-home him. But he wormed his way into my heart and he is here to stay.

I kept watch over the birds and their interactions. I started to intervene. Whenever he got too haughty, I picked him up and carried him around until he settled and agreed that I was boss, then I put him down. If he persisted, I 'pecked' him with my fingers. When he was at his worst, he went in time out... via crate. A few hours in there, then back with the flock.

He's been a near perfect gentleman since. I can freely handle him. My girls are calm and unharmed. And the crate is still handy in case he acts up again.

Adam isn't going anywhere. He grows more handsome every day. His crowing makes me laugh because it's a new sound and he stutters his way through, but it's getting better.

I love this boy! Hard to believe he's only 4 months old.

View attachment 1901108

What a gorgeous boy! I’m so glad you didn’t give up on him! I’m a firm believer in giving roos as much love as the girls and showing them who’s boss when the teenage hormones hit and they think they’re bigger than you :yesss:.

What a gorgeous boy! I’m so glad you didn’t give up on him! I’m a firm believer in giving roos as much love as the girls and showing them who’s boss when the teenage hormones hit and they think they’re bigger than you :yesss:.
Thank you. I wholeheartedly agree with you! They are only acting on instinct. I don't blame the chickens any more than I blame a cat for catching a bird or accidentally clawing.

Back
Top Bottom