Bagels

KenK

Songster
9 Years
Jan 23, 2011
Georgia
Haven't made bagels in a long time and felt the urge this morning. French bread dough makes a pretty good one so just made extra.

After the first rise, divided into three ounce portions and rolled on the counter to a ball, poke thumb through to start the hole.

SU1HMDAzNjYtMjAxMTEwMTYtMTA0MC5qcGc.jpg

Let rest five or ten minutes and stretch them out, twirling on your finger is one way.

SU1HMDAzNjgtMjAxMTEwMTYtMTA1My5qcGc.jpg

Let rest for 5-10 minutes, correct shaping a little if needed and poach for 1 minute per side. I like to put brown sugar in the water. Chop sticks are the best thing I've found to turn them over and take them out with.

SU1HMDAzNjktMjAxMTEwMTYtMTA1NS5qcGc.jpg

Ready to go into the oven, bake at 425 degrees for 10 minutes, turn them over and bake another 15-20 minutes.

SU1HMDAzNzAtMjAxMTEwMTYtMTA1OS5qcGc.jpg

My shaping skills are rusty but these will be good. Nice and chewy, the grocery store bagels around here are like soft rolls with a hole in the middle.

SU1HMDAzNzEtMjAxMTEwMTYtMTEzMi5qcGc.jpg

Oh Yeah Man !!

I used to love watching Baking With Julia Child, savvy old gal, she'd have on the best bakers to partner with her in the kitchen showing their talent.
I gotta say I had a crush on Lauren Groveman when she did this bagel episode with Julia.

I am truly impressed!!! I make all of our breads except bagels, I have tried them and I end up making a big mess and throwing to whole horrible mess away. Those are great!!

Betty, as skilled a baker as you are I can't imagine why you have trouble with them. This dough is about 67% hydration which is I think about as wet as you would ever want for bagels. I think they are normally around 60% if not a little less.

Quote:
I have never been able to understand all the % stuff.

I was taught to bake when I was very young by my mother and she taught me to bake the same way her mother taught her and that was by sight and touch. Learning to measure ingredients was not easy for me but I kept at it and eventually did learn for the most part. Some of the breads that I make that are so everyday like biscuits and some of the other quick breads, I never bothered to learn to measure. So basically if I've never seen anyone make a particular type of bread that is as different and strange as bagels I'm lost. Try adding in the % stuff and you might as well be speaking Chinese.

My family is Cajun and I had never even seen a bagel until after I was married and had moved to Texas. They remind me of soft pretzels but without the salt...I like them with coffee and blackberry jam but I gave up trying to make them.

So Ken... Have you eaten them yet?? Do they taste good?? You have inspired me to make bagels this week -- I really want to try my hand at it!

Quote:
No, we haven't eaten any yet but I can absolutely, positively, guarantee they will be good. Have made these dozens of times. I cut them almost in half and put them in the freezer. Will take them with us to the beach next week. Toast them up nice and spread a little cream cheese on.

Back
Top Bottom