Bakers egg ???????

cybercat

Songster
12 Years
May 22, 2007
Greeneville, Tn
Something that has me wondering that I have always heard. Why are ducks eggs suppose to be better than chicken eggs for baking? Does anyone know the answer to this question for I want details.

Thanks
smile.png

Hi,

I have heard that, too, but I have no idea why. I think you would probably have to use one duck egg for two chicken eggs or maybe two duck eggs for three chicken eggs, not sure.

Well, I hope you get an answer! Genie

I don't slack on the egg. I exchange 1 for 1. If the recipe calls for 3 large chickens eggs I use 3 duck eggs.

Duck eggs have a larger richer yolk and a denser white.

Baked goods are richer and riser better with duck eggs.

Hmm I always thought duck eggs were smaller than a large chicken egg. At least the ducks I have seen are smaller than many chickens I have seen. So if you have xlrg or jumbo they would be better then med or lrg egg? Then again I also know that some recipes are very speciic on what types of eggs and how many used. Well, at least I know now. Thanks.
big_smile.png

When cooking was standardized recipes where written with a large (standard) chicken egg as the ideal for basic recipes - it was the most common measure - same as 'cup' measures - even women on the prairie had a 'cup' to measure by and could easily bake most things using their 'cup' measures.

Any recipe can be changed. Many women of my grandmother's era prefer more eggs in a cake than most people bake with now. Many common recipes in todays kitchen skimps by on minimums and prepackaged instructions.

The old fashioned pound cake that takes 10 eggs - I always use 12 - I prefer it more eggy.
smile.png

Standard duck eggs are larger than chicken eggs. They have a much bigger yolk and the white is more thick - sort of less white more yolk.

Chocolate cake is made even more rich and moist using duck eggs.

my grandaughter who is a chocoholic even though diabetic complained when I made chocolate cake with duck eggs. she said it was too rich for her blood sugar never thought I would hear that coming from her
gig.gif

Just stumbling in here.
smile.png

Miss P I agree with all of your statements. I have been using my Duck eggs to bake with, and I find they work wonderfully
tongue.png

I also use them for French Toast batter, and have use 1 with 2 chicken eggs in omelets once in a while they seem to fluff up more. Or at least I think so..
roll.png
The whites do not work well for meringue each attempt I have resulted in failure not as stiff and don't bake well. It may just be me , But I usually have good results with chicken egg whites. But I love baking with duck eggs and they also make great egg noodles
clap.gif

big_smile.png
Karan

Back
Top Bottom