Bakers egg ???????

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by cybercat, Mar 4, 2009.

1. cybercat

cybercat Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2007
    Greeneville, Tn
    Something that has me wondering that I have always heard. Why are ducks eggs suppose to be better than chicken eggs for baking? Does anyone know the answer to this question for I want details.

Thanks
    [​IMG]

2. wishin4chicken

wishin4chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2008
    Hayden Lake, Idaho
    Oh boy, do I hate to show my ignorance. I didn't even know that people used duck eggs. [​IMG] Oops! Michele.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2009
  3. msgenie516

msgenie516 The Happy Hen

May 16, 2008
    Nesconset, LI, NY
    Hi,

I have heard that, too, but I have no idea why. I think you would probably have to use one duck egg for two chicken eggs or maybe two duck eggs for three chicken eggs, not sure.

Well, I hope you get an answer! Genie

4. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    I don't slack on the egg. I exchange 1 for 1. If the recipe calls for 3 large chickens eggs I use 3 duck eggs.

Duck eggs have a larger richer yolk and a denser white.

Baked goods are richer and riser better with duck eggs.

5. lisahaschickens

lisahaschickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2009
    Vancouver, WA
    MissPrissy is exactly correct - larger, richer eggs = richer, better-risen baked goods.

6. cybercat

cybercat Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2007
    Greeneville, Tn
    Hmm I always thought duck eggs were smaller than a large chicken egg. At least the ducks I have seen are smaller than many chickens I have seen. So if you have xlrg or jumbo they would be better then med or lrg egg? Then again I also know that some recipes are very speciic on what types of eggs and how many used. Well, at least I know now. Thanks. [​IMG]

7. MissPrissy

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    When cooking was standardized recipes where written with a large (standard) chicken egg as the ideal for basic recipes - it was the most common measure - same as 'cup' measures - even women on the prairie had a 'cup' to measure by and could easily bake most things using their 'cup' measures.

Any recipe can be changed. Many women of my grandmother's era prefer more eggs in a cake than most people bake with now. Many common recipes in todays kitchen skimps by on minimums and prepackaged instructions.

The old fashioned pound cake that takes 10 eggs - I always use 12 - I prefer it more eggy. [​IMG]

Standard duck eggs are larger than chicken eggs. They have a much bigger yolk and the white is more thick - sort of less white more yolk.

8. gypsy2621

gypsy2621 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2008
    New Hampshire
    Chocolate cake is made even more rich and moist using duck eggs.

my grandaughter who is a chocoholic even though diabetic complained when I made chocolate cake with duck eggs. she said it was too rich for her blood sugar never thought I would hear that coming from her [​IMG]

9. karanleaf

karanleaf Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2008
    Glenwood, Missouri
    Just stumbling in here. [​IMG]

Miss P I agree with all of your statements. I have been using my Duck eggs to bake with, and I find they work wonderfully [​IMG]

I also use them for French Toast batter, and have use 1 with 2 chicken eggs in omelets once in a while they seem to fluff up more. Or at least I think so..[​IMG] The whites do not work well for meringue each attempt I have resulted in failure not as stiff and don't bake well. It may just be me , But I usually have good results with chicken egg whites. But I love baking with duck eggs and they also make great egg noodles [​IMG]
    [​IMG] Karan

10. MissPrissy

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    When I beat duck egg whites I have to use my kitchen aid and I add a pinch of creme of tartar to them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by