Bald spot

Artoflife90

Songster
Jul 6, 2020
Phoenix Az
Hello everyone, I noticed a bald spot on my female wing. Is this a result of mating? Or something more serious? Here’s a picture

Attachments

• 71D93642-2207-437F-B8B5-EE0FC7B559B2.jpeg
    71D93642-2207-437F-B8B5-EE0FC7B559B2.jpeg
    353.5 KB · Views: 8
While I can't say what is happening with your bird, we have had a few other members experience feather pulling between flock members. For their birds it did happen near mating and seemed to be a misguided mating ritual. The solution was to separate the bird doing the pulling with a see through barrier - like fencing or baby gates. You might observe your birds near water when mating is likely happen.

It could also be a predator attack, injury from the environment, self mutilation from boredom, ect.

Thank you! I am going to pay close attention to them. Should I put anything on it?
I'm not sure, the photo is obscured by her feathers a bit so I can't tell how damaged the skin is. Usually if the skin is intact my vets do not have me use ointment. If the skin is broken they have me use a thin layer of silver sulfadiazine cream, which you can buy OTC. Sometimes they have me use regular antibiotic ointment, like Neosporin, but without pain medication that ends in caine (lidocaine, ect.) They definitely prefer the SSD cream, though.

Back
Top Bottom