Bantam Cochin acting odd

NewlyHatched

In the Brooder
5 Years
Feb 24, 2014
Utah
So this morning I went out to the coop, to refresh the chickens water and clean everything out. Well, I found two tiny eggs(I believe these are the first eggs laid) and we weren't sure who it was that laid them. Fast forward to when I let all my girls(6 of them) out to free range and my bantam cochin is acting strange. Heavy breathing, loud squawks when she jumps up onto anything or down, her vent seems to be moving a mile a minute and she just seems really distressed. We thought it was upper respiratory but she seems fine otherwise. She ran into the coop while we cleaned it, which is odd for her and keep just talking and looking around. So i brought her in and put her into a kennel and when we got back from the feed store, she laid an egg and now she is making random squawks and making nest. She already laid an egg, will she lay another one? Is this just broody behavior? Should I be worried. I hate to put her out in the heat if she is this upset. Also, we gave her electrolyte water and vitamins but she won't eat nor drink. Please help! I adore these babies and would hate to lose her because I am so inexperienced.

Thank you!

Has she been laying for awhile or are you saying this is her first time laying? If so, she may be stressed with this new activity. Often you will see their vent area still contracting for a few mins after they lay an egg.

As far as the eating, you could always scramble up an egg-most chickens cant refuse this.

Good luck and keep us posted.

This is her first time, I believe. I'll scramble some eggs for her and see how she does. She is just picking at her food now and her vent is still contracting. She keeps squatting too, like she may lay another. Will she? She isn't breathing heavy anymore and doesn't seem so distressed but she is just "chatting" every 20-30 minutes. Thank you so much for your reply!

When hens first start laying, their reproductive systems are just firing up-things can be a little out of whack at first (laying a tiny robin egg, missing a day, double yolks, and I believe its not un-heard of to lay 2 eggs within a 24 hr period as well) I would just keep my eye on her and see if she seems distressed, if the panting continues or she seems to be straining, otherwise this could be just a new hen figuring things out.

For a few days in the lead up to my girls first eggs they were very anxious.

There was a whole lot of in/out/in/out of the coop. A lot of nest box investigations, sometimes with the rooster in tow! And they all got VERY vocal. There was lots of squawking, lots of bok-bok-boking, and more concerning, an alarming screech that would have us all running to the coop looking for predators.

I have 6 pullets in all, and being new to chickens at the time for the first couple I didn't understand what was happening. But by the time the third girl started building up to lay I was able to confidently predict to hubby that 'the next one will lay in a day or two," and sure enough she would.

They just seemed to get more and more frantic in the lead up to that first egg.

After they started laying things returned to normal after a day or two. It just takes a while for them to get used to the whole process.

I think it's unlikely that your girl would be going broody straight after laying her first egg - unlikely, but not impossible! If she were broody though, there would be a reluctance to get off the nest for anything, she would flatten out across her eggs (broody pancake!) and you would have a hard job to get any eggs out from under her. She would protect those eggs come hell or high water!

I reckon she will be fine. A bit of love and attention goes a long way, and once she gets back in with the others I'm sure she will settle down.

Krista

Thank you both for the replies. We kept her inside for a little while after I posted this and she was fine. Started to eat and drink but still continued with some odd noises, I believe she missed her lady friends. So we put her out and she is a-ok! I was scared for a little while, worried that if she was sick, I wouldn't know and she would die or that maybe she was in pain. Thank goodness for this forum and all of you guys' know how. Thank you thank you thank you! I'll be on the look out for more eggs from her and hopefully my others will be laying soon. I'll know the signs then. Curious question though, is it normal for her to have hardly any waddles or comb and still lay? I figured as mature as my BO's and black australorps were, they'd be the first. Nothing from them though. In any event, glad to know the behavior is normal and I need not worry.

They are all different I think.

My RIR's have massive combs and wattles, in fact their wattles are flopping over to the side they are so big!

In comparison, my 2 BO's have tiny pink combs and wattles, but were the first to lay.
hu.gif

I guess the outside doesn't always reflect what's going on in the inside!

Also, you might find that now that she's laying, your girl might be a bit more 'vocal' than what you are used to. Prior to eggs, my girls were always very quiet, but now when I pop my head out the window I can usually hear them bok-boking and cackling all the time! And they do the egg song after laying of course, VERY loudly! Just thought I would let you know that this too, is completely normal :)

Kind Regards

Krista

The size of the comb and wattles are not an indicator of laying. However, what you can look for is for the comb and wattle to change from a dull pink to a bright red when they are ready to lay.

Yeah, I figured it isn't an indicator but just struck me as odd. Guess I better get use to oddness. Lol. I love their noises and am really exciting for the vocalization. Gives me a sense of their personality.

Back
Top Bottom