Bantam egg in bator has a "lump" on outside at day 10...

caitlinscarlett

In the Brooder
7 Years
Mar 7, 2012
Northern Ireland
Our definitely fertilised bantam egg has been in the incubator for 10 days and we can see the chick very clearly - she's wriggling around like crazy when we candle the egg. Tonight I noticed a lump on the outside of the shell - what could this be?! I know it's not unheard of for bantams to hatch a little early but it couldn't be a pip. Could it?!

does it have cracks? or is it just a lump? a hard lump? soft lump? is it the same color as the shell? did you touch it? how big is it? is there any way you can post a pic? i have never heard of a chick pipping at day 10. but this is strange.

It's the same colour as the shell - I didn't touch it but it looks hard and I can't see any cracking. It looks similar to the little irregular bumps of shell you sometimes see on eggs ( tho I've only ever seen them on store bought eggs) but I'm 99% certain it wasn't there before today. I'll try to get a picture.

I am a total idiot and have clearly gotten myself in such a state of panic over these eggs that I mistook a little speck of styrofoam from the bator for a lump on the white Banty egg! Went to take a pic and touched it and realised what it was! Thanks for the replies guys - thankfully the only problem my eggs have at the minute is a semi-psychotic owner! Lol!

I am a total idiot and have clearly gotten myself in such a state of panic over these eggs that I mistook a little speck of styrofoam from the bator for a lump on the white Banty egg! Went to take a pic and touched it and realised what it was! Thanks for the replies guys - thankfully the only problem my eggs have at the minute is a semi-psychotic owner! Lol!

lol..I think all of us are like that with our eggs. My husband thinks I'm going nuts.

Back
Top Bottom