7F0B1CE8-D9D4-414F-BC66-7576338D3A7F.jpeg
It’s very slow progress when you have a toddler... :rolleyes: :barnie

Update on my bantam Mini coop. This will serve as a brooder box for the chicks when they arrive. Seriously can’t wait till February. :wee
Anyways, any tips would be appreciated. Obviously gonna put a layer of shavings down for them and fill up the feeder and watered, and elevate them as the chicks grow. And the roof will get finished eventually.

Do you guys think I should add window(s) on the sides or is there enough ventilation from the gables ? I’m thinking I probably should add at least one.
Also, I plan to stain the outside, do I leave the inside as is, or can I stain that as well?
Thankyou in advance .

Attachments

• 72485454-86C4-4321-B407-74E70C26BB56.jpeg
    72485454-86C4-4321-B407-74E70C26BB56.jpeg
    302.1 KB · Views: 22
  • 6928F6A4-6EC2-46B3-8BC9-05EBA705FB22.jpeg
    6928F6A4-6EC2-46B3-8BC9-05EBA705FB22.jpeg
    337.4 KB · Views: 22
Update on my bantam Mini coop. This will serve as a brooder box for the chicks when they arrive. Seriously can’t wait till February. :wee
Anyways, any tips would be appreciated. Obviously gonna put a layer of shavings down for them and fill up the feeder and watered, and elevate them as the chicks grow. And the roof will get finished eventually.

I see that you will be using a heat lamp. It is not the best choice, but will work. First get a thermometer and check the operation .(test drive:gig) Make sure that it is not too hot inside. You can adjust temperature several ways. 1. Different size bulbs. 2. Using a dimmer switch.
3. Adjusting the height of the light from bottom of brooder floor.
4. Safety secure the light fixture with chain or wire, or cable, so it does not accidentally fall. FIRE HAZARD. This is serious and important.
You may consider the MHP (mama heating pad) here is a link for you to find out more about it and if it is right for you.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...d-in-the-brooder-picture-heavy-update.956958/
There are soo many postings. You can get the idea by reading just the first few.

Do you guys think I should add window(s) on the sides or is there enough ventilation from the gables ? I’m thinking I probably should add at least one.

You can open up the door and install a piece of Plexiglas, so chicks could see out. The Plexiglas would keep the warmth in. It is also advised to reach in and approach your chicks from the side rather than from above. (when giving feed or water, Etc.) Chicks naturally react in a panic mode when things come from above. (born instinct to react to predators). Keep roof open. You may need to cover with netting when chicks grow where they could fly out.

Also, I plan to stain the outside, do I leave the inside as is, or can I stain that as well?

Check to see if the stain is toxic in any way. If so, then avoid. I personally would only stain/paint the outside.
Ask anything you are not sure of. :)

Thankyou in advance .

I see that you will be using a heat lamp. It is not the best choice, but will work.
There are soo many postings. You can get the idea by reading just the first few.You can open up the door and install a piece of Plexiglas, so chicks could see out. The Plexiglas would keep the warmth in. It is also advised to reach in and approach your chicks from the side rather than from above. (when giving feed or water, Etc.) Chicks naturally react in a panic mode when things come from above. (born instinct to react to predators). Keep roof open. You may need to cover with netting when chicks grow where they could fly out.
Check to see if the stain is toxic in any way. If so, then avoid. I personally would only stain/paint the outside.
Ask anything you are not sure of. :)
I never heard of using anything but a heat lamp. I guess a heating pad would be more natural , more like a mama hen. I’ll look into it.
Definitely makes sense to approach from the side and not the top. I plan to use the door because now that it’s raised on a table, it’s a little too high for me to reach in from above comfortably.
And yes I’m familiar with putting a thermometer down and checking to see what the temperature is at. And adjusting the heat lamp accordingly. I’ve raised goslings before from incubation eggs till adulthood but never chicks.
Thankyou, I really appreciate the tips and pointers.

I am also getting ready to have another small coop built for 4 Seramas I am getting in the spring. I'm very curious about your coop and would love to see more pics. I have an idea in my head and a rough sketch but am allways looking for new ideas.

Back
Top Bottom